Present

Five years.

He'd grown up so much in five years. Only, with the help of a radioactive spider of course.

Sam, MJ, Peter and Natasha all sat in silence for a while, both Sam and MJ sneaking looks at one another to see if the other had any idea what was going on.

Of course, neither of them did.

Clearing his throat, Sam rubbed his hands together as they all sat looking at one another. Natasha looking more confused than the time when she had been kicked by a horse.

Don't ask. Even Clint doesn't.

"So..." Sam began, looking hopeful. "How do you two know each other?"

However, before a civilised conversation could continue, Natasha blew.

"Why are you doing this?! Do you realise how dangerous this is? Not only for your girlfriend but you! You could have been seriously hurt, Peter! Have you even thought this through? Does May know about this?! Oh my, God, she better know! And how did this even happen?! You swinging from building to building! You could have died!"

Peter held back a small laugh and smile as he watched Natasha blow with questions and worries.

"Well, you made it look so fun!"

"I'm being serious, Peter."

Sighing, Peter realised there would be no other way around it. So he explained.

"My uncle. Ben. He's the reason why." Peter shot a quick look to MJ before continuing. "After he died...and I got bit. He died because of a mugger than someone could have stopped. Only, no one had the capabilities without dying. But Ben, he wasn't scared. And he does a brave man for it. And yes. I do know it is dangerous - for everyone and anyone who knows. And I have thought this through. I always wanted to help people and if I can do something that others can't and I don't stand up? Then people get seriously hurt. I don't - I can't have anyone, especially a kid, going through what I did. And May...she knew. She found out after about a year."

Sam was a little confused at Peter's last statement. So, before asking, he looked to Natasha for reassurance only, that didn't help much.

"Knew?"

"Why do you think I live alone? At 17?" Peter asked.

May had died.

"How did it happen?" Natasha asked in a low voice.

Natasha had only known May a short time, but for the length that she did know her? It was more than enough to feel as though she was family. May just seemed to have that affect on people.

"May or Spider-Man?"

"Both."

Peter steadied himself for a moment, feeling MJ's hand take his. He'd never actually talked to anyone about May this way before.

"May? They had a gas explosion on the east corner of her building. Went up within minutes. She'd gone to her office to get something - some papers or documents...whatever. But, she was the only one of the third floor where the explosion started."

"A- And the bite?" Sam asked.

"Not too long after Nat found me and brought me home." Peter said with a little smile. "We went on a field trip to some Science and Robotics lab for the summer. It was only a week but, the final day, one of the spiders got loose and...the rest is history."

Sam now turned to MJ. "And you're okay with this? Him telling you he's Spider-Man and-"

"He didn't tell me." MJ corrected.