Talking With The Kid

It was getting closer towards Christmas and Peter had broken up from school for Christmas break.

He'd spent the majority of his time taking shifts at the diner and on his breaks, he'd do a little studying. Natasha had come in a few times as 'Natalie', the reporter.

It was around 5pm and Peter was talking to MJ and Betty at the counter. Nat could see a letter in Peter's hand, the SI logo in the top corner, but it was unopened.

"Peter. You need to open it. They might want you to go for a job." Betty told him.

"I'll open it later, besides, shouldn't you be at the mall?" Peter asked, since Ned had texted them that morning, asking for their help since he was terrible at getting the right presents for his family.

"Okay, fine. But, your meeting us there, right?"

"6pm, on the dot. You've said."

Betty nodded before rushing outside, shouting MJ to hurry up. "You're lucky loser."

"Hey, I'll be in the same boat as you a 6. Look forward to that." Peter told her. MJ nodded, a small smile on her lips before leaving.

Peter watched them leave before looking down to the envlope in his hand. He debated on whether he should open it or not, however, as he had turned it over, a man came running through the doors, his face practically dripping with sweat.

"Someone call the firebrigade, please!"

"What's happened?"

"There- There's a fire! People, they're inside."

Peter jumped over the counter, rushig out of the door. "What building?" Peter asked.

"The paper mill, on second!"

Peter's face went practically white. He didn't even stop to think, he just ran.

Everyone on the street seemed to follow the running of multiple people. All Peter could hear was the beating of his blood.

May had started a new job, working for a children's centre known as the Paper Mill. It was mainly a daycare centre, but May loved the job.

The closer Peter got, the bigger the fire became.

Peter came to a skidding halt, trying to balance himself, he looked around. "May! May! May! May!"

No response came, however someone too came to a skidding halt. Peter looked to his left and saw...Natasha Romanoff!? That was why she looked so familar to Peter.

"You-?! Nevermind."

There came a sudden scream from inside the building. "They're on their way, but we need to get people out."

Peter nodded. "Help people down here, I can get up there."

"What? How?"

"Just trust me."

Peter ran off in the opposite direction and down an ally way, above, he could hear the distant noise of repulsers and a motorbike.

Climbing up the side of the building, he came to a sash window, however locked from the inside. Smashing the window, he crawled in. As the smoke hit his lungs, he could already feel ash attaching to his skin and clothes and resting itself in his hair.

He made his way through the thickening smoke before coming face to face with the fire. He tried his best to run through the fire, finally making it to a jammed door which was facing the front of the street.

With two attempts, he broke the door open before looking round. In the corner, he spotted a young girl, maybe 6 years old.

Peter rushed over, trying his best to avoid the falling wood from above.