All it takes is one person

Looking round that building, she could remember the times she had walked through those same hallways as a kid. The times she came on school trips here. Nothing had changed. Not a single thing.

She could remember how her busy days ran, and they still do.

They had just finished another school trip. Morgan was becoming bored out of her mind not being allowed back into the labs. A few weeks ago, one of the chemicals had exploded causing no-one to be able to go into work for a few weeks. They still got paid of course, but she was still bored out of her mind.

"Thank you for coming today, and I hope I'll see you all again soon." Morgan smiled, waving goodbye to the children as their parents came to pick them up from the building.

An hour previously, the bus had broken down so there wasn't a chance that they'd be getting back any time soon.

Morgan stood there, however when she looked through the small crowd, she saw one child on her own. She had her backpack safely on her shoulders, and she was holding onto the tags.

She was looking round for her parents, but no-one had come to pick her up. A small frown was on the child's face. Slowly, the young girl walked back to the building and slowly sat down on the floor.

Why hadn't her parents turned up?

Morgan slowly walked over to the child, crouching down.

"Are you okay?"

The child nodded, "I'm okay."

"Do you know where your parents are?"

The young child shook her head. "No. Sophie usually picks me up from school."

"Who's Sophie?" Morgan asked.

"She's my babysitter. But she's ill."

Morgan looked around. So her parents decided that they didn't want to come for her?

"Do you want me to call your parents? Or your teachers?"

The young child shook her head, "No, that's okay."

"I hate to break it to you, but someone's got to come for you."

"There is a bus stop 15 minutes from here." The child told Morgan, "The bus doesn't run until 5."

"So you're going to wait for the bus?"

The child nodded. "Yes..."

Morgan looked around. No-one was coming to pick her up, and she's a 7 year old about to take the bus back into the city on her own, which is around an hour's drive.

The kid seemed quite smart for her age, probably how she knew all the bus routes.

"Well, while you wait, would you like to come inside? We can get you something to eat." Morgan offered.

After a moment or two, the child stood up, holding Morgan's hand. "Okay."

As Morgan took her back inside, she got her something to eat and they both sat down in the office.

"Did you enjoy the tour today?" Morgan asked her.

She nodded her head. "Very much. I wanted to be an Airforce piolt, but my daddy says that I can't."

Morgan furrowed her eyebrows. "And why's that?"

"He told me that being a Surgeon is better. He also said that even though I have the brains, I'm not strong enough."

Morgan put her sandwhich down. She'd seen this all before. She just wished she'd never have to see it again.

"Come with me. I want to show you something."

The young child took hold of Morgan's hand and followed her to what seemed to be a gym.

Morgan scanned her card and the pair walked in.

"What are we doing here?" She asked Morgan.

"Morgan, what are you doing in here?" Asked a woman as she walked over.

"Hey, I was wondering if you could talk to my friend Katie here. Her daddy has told her that she can't be in the Airforce because she's not strong enough."

The woman bent down to Katie's hight. "Did he really say that?"

Katie nodded her head. "Yeah, he said to become a surgon instead."

"Ah, the whole 'a girl can't do that job' scene."

"Why? Has it happened to you?"

She nodded, "Yes. And it happened when I was your age too."

"Really?"

She nodded. "Yes, a boy in my class told me that it was a man's job, but then it was Morgan's brother who showed him that sometimes, women are the best within the field."

"What happened?" Katie asked.

Taking hold of Katie's hand, the pair walked over to a bench.

"Well, when I came to inlist when I was 18, the same boy was there. We had to go through alot of training, and it wasn't all easy, but I got back up and I carried on."

"What happened to the boy?"

"Well, when he realised that he wasn't getting anywhere with calling the Airforce a man's job, he finally moved on with his life. But, it just shows you, sometimes, it's worth listening to someone else when it comes to what you reall want to do."

"You see Katie, all it takes is one person to show you that you can." Morgan smiled.

"Was that man her brother?" Katie asked the woman.

She nodded her head. "Yes. Without him, I might not be doing the job I love today. Because I would have given it up because it was considered a man's job."

After talking for a while longer, Morgan decided to drop Katie off herself. She didn't want her to take the bus by herself. Anything could have happened.

"Hold on, wait up!"

The pair turned around to see the same woman running after them.

She crouched infront of Katie. "I hope I'll here from you one day, when you're old enough to inlist that is." She smiled.

"Thank you."

Katie took the small card into her hands. A phone number wrote down on it.

Morgan gave a smile. She was watching History repeat itself once more.

While they drove towards the city, the woman walked back inside. Only to be greeted by a man stood by the door.

"I think I've just seen History repeat itself." He smiled.

"I guess so."

He smiled once more before turning to face the whiteboard. "Where to first?" She asked him.

"Still waiting on the word from Danvers, but I'd say she'd just ask where you'd want to go. So," He smiled, "Where to first, Lieutenant Alex?"

"How about...Southern California?"

He nodded, "I'll send them the note now. Have fun."

Alex was glad that day Peter came to her and gave her that small card. Katie was glad too, or else she wouldn't have been able to tell her own children when she had them, that Alex was the woman who showed her that sometimes to see your dreams, all it takes is one person.