35

Harry wasn't sure how much time had passed since he had first realised that something was wrong. It felt like ages but, at the same time, everything was happening too fast.

The ride in the ambulance was tense and fucking scary. The paramedics kept placing wires and needles on Sam's little whimpering body, asking Harry some questions about allergies and so every once and a while and speaking to the hospital in a rushed tone. He just sat there, caressing one of Sam's little feet as it was the only part of him he could reach without disturbing their work.

Either way, he was now sat on the cold white floor of the hospital's waiting room, his head bowed down, resting on both his hands, trying to process what was going on.

As soon as the ambulance doors opened, the doctors took Sam away from him after quickly assuring him they just needed to do some tests on him and that he was in good hands.

He had paced up and down for minutes, trying to convince himself that it was true, that he would be okay, until his leg started to hurt. He hadn't been careful at all when putting it on so he supposed he had probably left some wrinkles on his socket sleeve.

He jumped slightly, looking up when he felt a small hand on his shoulder.

"Hey" Said a gentle voice he now recognised as Louis'.

"Louis... You needn't have come. You must have work tomorrow" Harry spoke whipping his eyes with his sleeve.

"I wanted to. Besides, I work afternoon today. I've plenty of time to rest. Here, an abomination of tea with sugar" Louis replied, sitting down beside Harry and passing him a tea before taking a sip of his.

"Thanks" Harry mumbled, trying to smile.

"Do you know something yet?" Louis asked.

"No... They are checking him out and doing some tests" Harry said rubbing his temples trying to soothe his headache.

"That's good... Do you want me to call someone who should be here? Their mu-" Louis started asking.

"No" Harry cut him. "She... She's dead"

"Oh... I'm so sorry... I- I shouldn't have said anything. Sorry" Louis said not knowing how to react to make him feel better.

"Don't be. It wasn't your fault" Harry sighed "I just wish she was here, you know? That she could have raised them... That Sam could have known her... She would have done much better than I'll ever do" He continued looking down to hide his tears.

"Hey, hey... Come here" Louis said surrounding Harry with his arms and bringing him closer to his body. "You're doing a great job" He whishpered kissing Harry's curly hair softly.

They sat in silence. Louis playing with Harry's hair, trying to soothe him a little until he couldn't help himself.

"When did it happen?" He spoke quietly before he realised what he had asked.

"Sorry. You don't have to answer that. I shouldn't have asked" Louis said quickly as he felt Harry's body stiffen in his arms.

"Nine months ago. 1st of December. Car crash" Harry replied curling deeper in Louis hold.

"That's..." Louis started as he remembered Harry's files and Sam birthday.

"Sam's birthday. The day I lost my sister and my leg. I was driving" Harry explained.

"Oh..." It all made sense now. Harry must have been the car crash that day, along with Sam's pregnant mum. That must have been the reason he was born early... "wait... sister?" He asked confused.

"Yeah... I'm not their real dad... I'm their uncle. She... She wanted me to be their guardian if... You know... But I can't even remember the damn emergency phone number..." Harry answered, still curled on Louis.

"Hey. Look at me, Harry. Please" Louis said, making some space between them so Harry had to take his head off his chest. "You are their dad. And a damn good one for what I know. You need to believe that because it's true, okay? It's okay to need help sometimes. Everyone does" He added holding the green eyed man at arm's length and tilting his head up with a finger so that they were looking at eachother.

"I... I just..." Harry started, looking away as tears slipped down his cheeks.

"Samuel Styles family"