𝐨. what a lie, what a lie

*:・゚✧*:・゚✧—prologue: what a lie, what a lie

THEY HAD MET IN COLLEGE. God, did Henry wish he could go back to the years when he and William had been as close as friends could be. No bickering all the time, no William having both psychopathic and sociopathic tendencies, no William being a shit father, no Henry being the father figure for William's kids, no animatronics, no business, just the two of them, best friends, in the sixties.

"Henry, when the hell are you getting your driver's license? I can't keep driving you everywhere. You're at an age now where you're perfectly capable of using your own means of transportation—a car."

Henry set his mug of coffee down on the counter in the kitchen, looking over at his older sister, Jen, who was sitting on a stool by the island. The right corner of his lips twitched slightly in a scowl and he stared back down at the contents of his mug.

"Not my fault I keep fucking failing my driver's test," he mutters as he picks the mug back up and takes a long sip of the room temperature caffeinated beverage. He doesn't like it steaming hot.

He peers over the rim of the mug to see Jen sigh and shake her head.

"Go finish getting ready, Hen," she says as she slides off the stool. "I'll let Mom and Dad know you'll be leaving soon."

Henry set the mug down in the sink, swallowing the rest of the coffee. He stares at the dregs abandoned at the bottom of the ceramic and rinses it out. And not long after is Jen back in the kitchen.

"Hen, do you want me to help pack the rest of your things?"

He shakes his head, "I got it." He makes his way upstairs to his bedroom.

✧ ✧ ✧

It was now well into the morning when was done. Still early enough to where it was before nine, but late enough to where he only had a few minutes to leave to not be considered late.

"You got everything?" his dad asked, looking up from the newspaper in his hands when Henry had come back down to the kitchen.

"Yeah. Where's Mom?"

"She should be outside helping your sister pack your stuff in the car."

"You're not coming to see me off?"

His dad snorted, a chuckle leaving his lips. "You're real funny, Henry, you know that? Of course, I'm seeing you off." He sets the newspaper down and gets up, walking out of the kitchen. He stops by the door and turns around, looking at Henry. "Well? What are you waiting for?"

Henry grins.

✧ ✧ ✧

The trunk of the car slammed shut. Henry had the cardboard box in his hands and was struggling to carry it as he walked towards the front of the car.

"See you in a bit, Hen," Jen said, giving her brother a hug. Henry gasped when Jen hugged him (she was squeezing him too tight!).

"Jenny, let— go—" he grunted, squirming in her grip. She released him, a playful grin residing on her face.

"See ya, champ," Mr. Emily reaches up and ruffles his son's hair.

"Dad, stop," Henry complains, stepping away from the man, but his smile betrays the former look.

"I'll miss you, Henry." His mom is leaning against the car. It looks like she'd been crying. She sniffs and rubs at her nose. "My baby's all grown up..."

"Hey," Henry walks over to her and pulls her into a hug, the box with his things tucked under his left arm, "I'll be okay."

"Stay safe, Henry."

"I will, Mom, don't worry," he lets go of her and smiles. "See you soon."

✧ ✧ ✧

He sighs, sitting down on one of the beds in the dorm room. There were two beds here and that meant he had a dormmate, and it seems that said dormmate had already been in here.

The other bed wasn't spread, a dirty plate sat on the counter by the sink, and there was a dog bed on the floor next to the bed... Interesting.

Suddenly, the door opened. Henry stared at it, wide-eyed, as a dog bounded in, dragging a tall man into the dorm. That must be his dormmate.

His dark brown hair is long and unkempt, combed over and hanging down the side of his head. He has a bit of stubble growing where his beard should be. His eyes are a slate grey, and Henry was sure that they could bore into his own eyes and snatch his soul.

"Dammit..." he mutters, closing the door behind him as he lets go of the leash, not noticing Henry was here. "This dog with be the death of me, I swear—" He pauses, seeing Henry. "Hello. I assume you're Henry Emily?"

"Oh, uh, yeah. What's— What's your name?" Henry asks.

"William Afton," he holds out his hand, a friendly smile on his face.

Henry nods to him, shaking his hand. "Nice to meet you, Will."

William laughs. "Already onto nicknames, yeah?" He sits down. His dog, what looks to Henry as a Siberian Husky, lays down on the dog bed, panting and refusing to take a nap, though she's dozing off.

"What's your dog's name?"

William looks at Henry and then at the dog, his smile morphing into a grin. "Her name's Fern."

"Fern, got it," Henry nodded in response.

William rests his elbow on his knee, his chin sitting in the palm of his hand as he looks at Henry again,

"I think we'll be great friends, Henry Emily."

What a lie that had been.

Decades later, they had become the complete opposite of friends. Enemies.

Henry Emily had been a fool to trust someone such as William Afton.

author's note
i cried after i wrote
this because i was
looking at fnaf fanart
again dammit ☹️☹️

12.20.21