𝐱𝐱𝐢𝐱. the breaker room

*:・゚✧*:・゚✧—chapter twenty-nine: the breaker room

December 6, 1993

MICHAEL STARTED TO REGRET EVER TAKING UP WILLIAM'S OFFER TO WORK AT CIRCUS BABY'S. This place wasn't all too friendly and welcoming. The other places were more inviting and homey, but this wasn't that.

He stands uncomfortably in one of the four corners of the elevator, Eva opposite him. They're both staring at each other, one single thought on their minds:

What if we can't free Mum and Lizzie?

"Welcome back for another night of intellectual stimulation, pivotal career choices, and self-reflection on past mistakes." Ah, yes. That's totally what these nights are about. Thank you, HandUnit. "We're committed to creating a unique and fulfilling work experience. One part of that commitment is ensuring that you don't get tired of the voice that you're hearing right now." The yellow keypad retracts from the wall and sits in front of Michael. "Using the keypad below, select a new companion voice. For male, press 1. For female, press 2. For text only, press 3. For other options, press 4."

"There's no numbers on the keypad," Michael sighs, his lips pressed to a thin line as he stares at the yellow device that is still glitching out in front of his face, just like yesterday. He goes to press a button, hoping to find a way to get numbers, only for the keypad to do exactly what it did yesterday when he pressed the screen: seven bright green dots and an error.

"It seems that you had some trouble with the keypad—I see what you are trying to type, and I will autocorrect it for you. Thank you for choosing: Angsty Teen." The keypad flips down, the metal arm retracting back into the wall.

There's silence that fills the elevator.

"What's Angsty Teen going to sound like?" Eva asks, suddenly amused.

"Probably a lot more annoying than this bloody default voice for HandUnit, my God..." Michael mutters, shaking his head.

The buzzer goes off, the same one for alerting you the elevator was stopping soon. It jerks to a stop and the door opens. Michael stares at the vent warily. Why would he ever want to go in there again? Eva's about to lead the way when the voice option for HandUnit—Angsty Teen—starts speaking,

"The elevator's stopped. You know the routine. Get out now, or... whatever. Stay here if you want." The light turns off, as does the fan. Then there's silence.

Michael huffs. He had no choice but to follow Eva.

"So, funny story," the Angsty Teen HandUnit voice says once the two young adult siblings start crawling through the vent shaft, "a dead body was found in this vent once. M'kay, so, not that funny. But, it's a story."