𝐱𝐯𝐢𝐢. the dog

*:・゚✧*:・゚✧—chapter seventeen: the dog

(tw: animal death, implied child death)

March 30, 1989

SUSIE WAS ON THE SWING ATTACHED TO AN OAK TREE IN THE FRONT YARD. While she was swinging, her German Shepherd, Theodore, was running around chasing after a tennis ball. Theodore wagged his tail as he bounded after the ball.

"Theo, come here, boy!" Susie said, calling the dog over.

Theodore's ears perk up and he turns around, drool dripping from his mouth as he has the neon green tennis ball held securely in his jaws. He trots over to the tree and drops the ball at the blonde's feet, wagging his tail as he looks back up at her, his head tilted to the side.

Susie stops swinging and leans over to pick up the tennis ball. She throws it again. This time, the ball lands on the far end of the lawn by the sidewalk and bounces across the street.

Theodore chases after it, about to bring it back to Susie, when he sees a squirrel running. He drops the ball and chases the squirrel down the sidewalk.

"Theo?" Susie called, noticing her dog was gone. "Theo, come back!"

The dog does not come back.

✧ ✧ ✧

Susie goes in a direction she hopes Theodore went, hoping she can reach him before a car or some other vehicle comes down the street. She also hopes he doesn't run into the road.

She's following this general direction for what seems like forever. She panting now, breathing heavily and has now slowed to a walk. Six-year-olds aren't meant to travel long distances on foot.

She soon realizes she's reached a familiar street, it was once a few blocks down from Freddy's. She continues walking, searching for Theodore, when there's a loud screech as a car swerves.

Startled, Susie turns around, seeing a purple-colored truck swerve into the road and hit something. Before she knows it, her legs are carrying her over to the middle of the street where the truck has now stopped. The front bumper is smeared with blood. And laying motionless on the ground was—

"Theodore..."

A man gets out of the truck. Susie sees him and realizes it's William Afton.

"You ran over my dog!" Susie yells glaring at the man through the tears that welled up in her eyes and started to fall. "You-You killed him!"

"Oh, I'm sorry..." William says, glancing from the crying girl to the dead dog. "I didn't mean to hit him, really. He ran into the street, I almost didn't see him. By the time I swerved out of the way, well, it was too late."

Susie sniffs, rubbing her nose. "I'm telling my dad on you, Mr. Afton," she mumbles, before taking one last look at the man clothed in purple, and her dead dog, and walking away.

✧ ✧ ✧

It was only the following day when Susie was starting to feel a bit better. No completely, since she witnessed her dog get hit by William's pickup truck just yesterday. And even though she had told William she would tell Lincoln what happened, she hadn't been able to. Lincoln was at the daycare again today, so Susie and her two older twin brothers were stuck at Freddy Fazbear's Pizza until he returned.

The curly-haired blonde is standing in front of one of the arcade machines, playing Fruity Maze, in the arcade area.

She had been playing it for about half an hour now. A cup of tokens sat on the machine, and each time the timer ran out and it asked her if she wanted to try again, she would put in a token.

The ball pit was nearby, in the back corner. Children were playing in it while their parents kept watch or conversed with other parents here.

Susie preferred the Fruity Maze arcade game over the ball pit

"Hello, Susie."

She startles, nearly knocking over the cup of tokens as she turns around to see Spring Bonnie standing behind her. She smiles, waving at the animatronic mascot,

"Hi, Spring Bonnie!"

"Looks like you're playing Fruity Maze. Are you having fun?" he asks her.

"Uh, well... I was. I've been sad since yesterday. My dog, Theodore, got hit by a car..." the blonde sniffs, picking up the cup of tokens.

"He's not really dead, you know," he informs. Susie looks back up at him, rubbing her nose as she sniffs again. She doesn't say anything at first. "He's just over here in one of the back rooms. All patched up. I can take you to him."

"R-Really?"

He nods. "Follow me," he says as he takes the token cup from her and leaves the arcade. Susie follows him.

He leads her to a room separated form the main area of the pizzeria. He pulls the door open and takes her downstairs to the basement.

The low lighting makes Susie nervous. Shouldn't it be much brighter in here? What room was this anyway? And where was Theodore.

The click of a door lock makes her look up. Spring Bonnie is back at the top of the stairs, locking the door.

"Wh-What are you doing?" Susie asks, her voice shaking as Spring Bonnie comes back down the stairs. He stands in front of her, pulling a knife out from where it was tucked into his arm. Susie pales and her eyes widen as she backs up, the metallic glint of the blade sinister.

He steps closer to her until she's backed up against a wall in the corner. She was trapped.

He removes the mask from his head, revealing William Afton. This only causes Susie's breathing to quicken and her heart to race.

"Little seven-year-old Susie McDermott, too naive and gullible..." He clicks his tongue as he sets the Spring Bonnie head on a table. "You should never be too trusting of anyone."

Susie stares at him as he brings the knife down, a scream ripping through the air.

But no one outside of this room can hear her.

And her screams are soon silenced.

author's note
rip susie

01.04.22