Chapter 43

Chapter 43

(Back in time to what happened between chapter 40-41)

Kaylie's POV

"I can't even see!" I whispered to Ryan as we rushed through the cold morning air.

"Shhhh," the only thing he said to me since he rudely woke me up.

He pointed towards a car in the distance, stuck in-between mud and bodies.

"You have keys?" I asked as I ran towards it, trying to get out of the dark.

He grabbed my waist, gripping my self to his body. I gasped, feeling strangely safe. His hot breath came down to my ear, whispering words which I didn't focus on.

"You got it?" He released his grip, but I didn't move.

"Say that again?" I regained my attention.

He shook his head, "There's a trip wire, it'll release the dead from the truck on the right."

I nodded, slowing my pace down while watching my footsteps.

"I'm sorry for grabbing you like that." His voice came from behind me.

I sighed, "I've had worse, and it wasn't accidental." Next, I was expecting the pity like always. The apologies and lectures about how it all gets better, but in reality, it doesn't. You just learn to fake it for everyone else.

"You're the most beautiful and strongest woman I've meet." He chuckled, scratching his head.

An awkward smile formed on my face, and I continued walking letting my thoughts invade my control.

I love Carl, but I was on a suicide mission right now. He would never let me do something like this, I hardly have had the freedom with him that I have now.

My feet spun around, as I faced Ryan. "You do know you could get killed trying to get me back." His long strides were coming in too fast.

I backpedaled, trying to have our eyes connect again. He avoid eyesight, and motioned for me to turn around.

With another deep sigh, I turned continuing, almost in reach of the car.

A jingle went through the air, and metal keys landed on the ground.

I bent down grabbing the keys, "Why is all this here?"

Ryan's voice boomed directly next to me, "Negan likes to kill random survivors."

I stood up facing him, "Why are you not letting him kill me? You and your sister would be better off."

Ryan chuckled, "Rebecca's a bitch, but we both hate Negan. If keeping you alive ruins any of his plans, then I'd make sure to."

I leaned back against the car, crossing my arms. "So I'm just a big part of the plan?"

He remained silent for a few seconds, then did something I did not expect.

His hands cupped my face, "You are more than that, but I can't do this."

My breathing increased dramatically, "D-do what?"

A deep sigh emerged from his lips, "You know what I do to you. Just feel your heart beat."

His hands dropped down, "I'm not going to ruin something so good."

The keys were taken out of my hands, and Ryan gently asked me to get on the other side.

I shook my head as I walked over. "I'm pretty fucked up already."