Chapter 9

Chapter 9

"C-carl..?" I whispered.

"I promised I'd be back, didn't I?" He said as he fell, but I quickly caught him.

"Rick! Maggie! Come down here!" I yelled.

Rick slid down the slope and sprinted over.

"Carl! What the, wait where's Daryl?"

"I can handle myself, but I can't handle a love crazed teen, Rick." Daryl said as he brought his bike up.

"We'll talk later, let's get you fixed up, Carl." Rick said.

We helped Carl up the hill, laying him down on the picnic table.

"Get my bag, I have some disinfectant." I commanded Daryl.

"I'm fine, Kayl-"

"Shut up, I can't believe you got this hurt. I knew I shouldn't have let you go, Grimes." Carl smirked.

Daryl dropped the bag off. "Carl, stop flirtin' and let the girl clean your cut."

I searched through my bag looking for the bottle.

"Ok this might sting a little.." I told him.

"Just tell me when you-" I already started pouring it over it.

Carl started swinging his arms around and kicking.

"I said tell me when you do it!" He growled out. I laughed.

"It hurts less when I don't say, or you get all nervous." I grabbed a wet cloth and scrubbed his face.

"I think I can clean my face on my own." He smiled.

"Just be quiet." I told him as I went down to cleaning his arms.

"You should just jump into the stream down over there." He quickly jumped up and almost fell.

I led him over to the stream through the rigid terrain.

"Can you get my second pair of clothes? It should be in my bag."

I nodded, heading back to find Rick holding his bag.

"I just want to thank to for keeping my boy alive. I'm happy he has you." I immediately turned red.

He patted me on the back and walked off. I made my way back to the stream. He was already in. I dropped his stuff off by the tree and walked back to the central of our camp.

I put my gun away, but kept my knife with me. I stopped by and chatted with Beth.

We needed some more things for Judith. We would probably have to go on a run for a few items soon.

I took the time to admire where we were. The stream was the loudest thing around, making a peaceful, tree-filled environment. Carl smiled over from the water.

"Thank you.. I don't know what I would do without you." He told me.

He grabbed my hand and we walked back to camp. Daryl was explaining what had happened.

I shoved Carl's arm when I heard he was grabbed by a walker.

"And you tell me not to worry!" He rolled his eyes.

"Then when the bike ran out of gas, he started walking!"

"Why would you start walking with yourleg cut open?" I asked him as Rick and Daryl left.

"I wanted to get to you faster, I was really worried."

"You could have died." I whispered.

He combed through my hair with his fingers and leaned in. My fingers twiddled in his hair.