Chapter 25

Chapter 25

I just kept driving East. I wasn't driving to find the riverbed, I was looking for peace. So when I say I wasn't surprised I almost drove into the water, I honestly had to emotion.

The night was quiet. Casual walkers here and there. The cool breeze shot through the windows.

I parked the car and walked over to the passengers side. I grabbed Kaylie's hand and looked at her.

"I'm gonna check out the cabin before we settle. Just stay here and I'll be back." I told her while playing with her hand.

Her eyes focused on the moon, no movement.

I sighed, and walked off to the check-in booth with the keys. Gladly, they all were there which hopefully meant now walkers tonight.

The door screeched as I opened it, loud enough for anything to come crawling out.

I quickly scanned the first floor and scampered up the wooden staircase. The 2nd floor had a small bathroom and a bedroom with no sign of walkers.

I searched for the power box around the kitchen downstairs. On the back wall it sat covered in dust. I knew these places were solar-powered, something my mom always pestered about.

All the switched were off, so why not, I decided to flick them up. I shut the box and felt the walls for the kitchen switch. Once my fingers found it, the lights flickered for a little and stayed on. It was dim, but it was light and maybe water.

I walked back outside to the car.

"I got the lights to workish." I told her while opening the door.

She jumped to her feet while I wrapped my arm tightly around her waist.

"I got you." I told her as she took each step.

Once we got inside, I searched the pantry for anything.

"For dinner tonight, we'll be having some stale Lucky Charms." I tried to get her to laugh.

She always laughs at my stupid jokes, so I knew she was still recovering since she just sat at the table, head down.

"Yeah, lost my appetite, too." I sighed.

I can't do a thing for her or even make her laugh. I just want her to be happy and safe.

"Change of plans, I have a better idea." I smiled at a thought of a warm shower.

I carried her upstairs and sat her on the bathroom counter. I played around with the faucet till a dark, liquidly substance came out. After a minute if that, the water started getting cleaner. I shut it off and grabbed a towel. I soaked it and brought it up to her face.

"Warm water." I told her as I washed the dried blood off.

Her mouth had the smallest smile playing along her lips.

"C'mon smile, I've been making the best jokes and I don't even get a laugh."

I don't know if I did something, but before you knew it, she was crying.

I wrapped my arms around her and rubbed her back in little circles.

"Here, I got a bath ready for you. I'll even throw I'm bubbles." I laughed trying to make her feel better.

Just before I closed the door on my way out, I heard a tiny voice say, "Thank you."

I headed to the kitchen to get something to munch on. I grabbed some saltines and sat by the window.

As I was deep in thought, I heard commotion from outside.

"The car is here, boss." James said, with a half beaten face thanks to Daryl.

"Cabin 1 keys are missing, too."

"Just get the girl." The man who I never seen before said.

After that, I sprinted to the power box and shut it off. I got the flash light and ran to the bathroom. The door was still closed and I didn't really want to just walk in, but I didn't have a choice.

"Kaylie, they are here we need to go!" I whispered.

Luckily, she was fully dressed and ready. She look dazed, but understood.

I grabbed her hand and led her down the stairs. Before I knew it, the handle of the door stared rattling.

"Shit." I mumbled.

I looked around for the closest things. The closet.

I swung open the door, "Okay, just stay in here. Do not go anywhere."

"But-" I cut her off.

"No. Kaylie, just please go in here, please." I pleaded.

I looked back at the door, they were looking all around the cabin. Kaylie finally got in the small space and I covered her with a suit case.

"I love you, and no matter what happens, stay in here."

She looked like she was going to say something but stopped. I quickly shut the closet door, and jumped onto the couch pretending to be deep in sleep.

Not long after, they came in.

"He's asleep." The leader said.

"The girl isn't here." James said.

I felt my gun tighten in my hand.

"I got him." The 3rd man said.

Just as he was to grab me, I got my gun up and pulled the trigger. There his body plopped to the ground.

The blood flowed onto the ground.

"I liked that carpet, too." The leader mumbled.

"Get out before I blast your brains out." I growled.

The other man looked terrified and inched closer the door.

"Rather not. I'm Mike. What's your name kid? I've heard your the one that took our little friend." He smirked. "I never even got to meet her."

"Fuck you. She's not yours." I laughed.

Mike raised an eyebrow, "What claim do you have on her?"

"I love her, and she's somewhere safe, away from here."

He laughed, "Get him James."

I raised my gun up to head level, ready to shoot anyone of them.

James kicked me in the groin and dragged my body outside. I was too stunned to move.

Mike grabbed his knife, and kept me to the ground.

"Now tell me where she is, or you're gonna have me permanently carved into your skull."

I had the balls to laugh, "Die in a hole."

That wasn't my best of ideas.

It hurt like hell. The tip of the knife blade took back the skin, revealing fresh blood. Few screams escaped my mouth, I didn't want to attract attention.

"Want to answer now?"

"Nope." I grunted.

"Tough kid, I like that." Mike complimented and moved the knife tip from my bleeding arm to my chest. He cut open the shirt and slowly pressed it deeper and deeper over my heart.

"It can stop whenever you want. Just say where the chick is."

The pain increased massively. I wanted to tell him to stop, but I couldn't tell him where she was.

I knew my final moments were here. My chest was on fire and blood was everywhere. My eyesight was turning to dust flying around in the sunlight. My life replayed inside my head.

The moment came. I saw the most beautiful angel waiting for me. But this angel had black wings and black under her eyes. She held a gun pointed at me.

"Get the fuck off him, Daddy." Kaylie sickly spoke with disgust in her voice.

The gun wasn't pointed at me, it was at her own father.