Chapter 37

Chapter 37

"Watch the back!" Heath yelled through the store.

A few walkers snuck in behind our backs.

"I thought this door was closed!" I said grabbing my knife.

Heath joined me, taking out the ones farther back.

"Where'd Kaylie go?" I looked around after getting my knife out of a head.

"The place across the street, she must of left the door open."

"Let's head over, we got everything we could from here."

"No, we can't go yet." Heath put his arm out.

"She's over there alone, we need to hurry."

Heath looked in discomfort. "Every time you kill a walker group, there's always the lingering ones around. They'll be around here any second."

"Exactly, we don't have much time." I opened the door, sprinting to the right.

"Turn up here!" He said, so just I could here.

I saw Kaylie standing at the front of the shop, bags loaded of things.

I ran across the street, looking for any lost walkers, looking for something to be their attention.

Heath waved Kaylie to come towards us, but instead, she pointed across the street.

"Negan hasn't been doing his work over here, huh?" I looked over at the walkers surrounding our exit.

Heath shook his head, "The Saviors don't need to clear their territory."

I took a step back, "We- They are here?"

I looked back at Kaylie, who was sneaking pass broken-down cars.

"We are going to have to go around the perimeter of their base. I wish we could go through... We'll be fine." Heath talked to himself.

"Do you guys hear them? It's like walkers are tied up over there." Kaylie signaled behind the trees, once she reached us.

"They are. Supposed to make them blend in."

"They?" She asked, putting the bags in the trunks.

"The Saviors. The only way to get out of this area is to go around them." I sighed.

Heath got in the car, "Let's just get this over with. We've been out here a day since we left. We need to be back sometime tomorrow."

Kaylie shrugged, and followed his lead.

***

"Have you been to through here before?" I asked Heath.

He kept focused in the road, but responded.

"Once. Douglas was driving, it was the first time we were giving Negan our supplies, after he found us."

"This place is huge." Kaylie said from the back.

"The Sanctuary. This place used to be a good place, then Negan overthrew it." Heath looked up at the factory.

Walkers surrounded the area, speared, tied up, in pieces on the ground, or the few in a one piece.

"Anywho, he created this group of people, which they call the Saviors. If anyone makes a colony of survivalist, he'll find you."

"How'd he find-"

Three loud BANG's shot through the air.

The car leaned towards one side, and glass shattered.

"Get out on the left!" Heath yelled over the commotion.

I rolled out after Heath, pushing Kaylie behind me.

"They got the tires." He cursed to himself.

A march of footsteps came across the cement.

"You've better came here for a fucking good reason, or you are going to be dead." Negan's voice boomed.

We stayed behind the car, hidden from him.

"Oh god..." Heath rubbed his forehead.

"Just tell him that this was the only way back." Kaylie said.

"It's not good enough. We shouldn't of never came this way."

I grabbed him by his collar, "We're getting out of this, no one is going to die."

"I'm going to count to five, and if you aren't fucking out, Lucille is going to meet your fucking skull."

I ignored his voice, trying to focus.

Kaylie turned towards me, "I think I have an idea."

I rose my eyebrow, waiting for her to explain.

She kissed my cheek, "Just stay quiet no matter what. Got it?"

I nodded, "What-"

She planted a kiss on my lips, "I love you, Carl. Trust me on this one."

I stared at her eyes, which brimmed with tears.

"Four! You like playing games? I can fucking play, too!"

She smiled at me, then everything turned to a blur.

I remember her getting up, arms up in the air.

I was about to yell, but Heath covered my mouth.

I thrashed under his grip, watching her walk away from me.

"You? What the fuck do you want?" Negan yelled at her.

"I'm taking you up on your offer. I want to become a Savior." Her voice hit me hard.

Negan laughed, "You really do have pair of balls to come here. Conner, get everyone off high-alert."

"Welcome to the Sanctuary. This is your new home now. We aren't like Douglas, we are better. Get used to it... what's your name kid?"

"Kaylie Reynolds." She responded.

"Well Kaylie, you've got a whole fuck load of things to learn. Let's get inside."