Chapter 11 - A wolf at the door.

Only a short chapter.  Votes are appreciated, they keep the story alive.

......

Virgil's (PoV)

"First things first, as we may need to meet again in the future may I introduce myself. My name is Paul Holt, as you know I was the PA to Damos Costas and now the new Alpha Damien." He pushed the large envelope across the table to me.

"You are aware what the envelope contains but in case you need a reminder...." I stared at the envelope and he continued. "One of the documents is the Title Deed to your flat. It has remained unoccupied since you were there last." He pulled a set of keys from his pocket and placed them on the envelope. "Mr. Costas has kept it maintained in case you returned."

"Secondly, and more importantly now that you have turned 18, there is a letter from a firm of solicitors here in Melbourne who act on behalf of The Pure. They are Trustees of a Trust Fund of which you are the only beneficiary. As you know the Trust Fund was created by Damien Costas after he rejected you as his mate. You now have full access to that money. Which, I might, add is a considerable amount."

The PA sat back, his hands on his lap, and continued. His glare was off-putting. I couldn't tell if he was looking at me or the wall behind me. "You used only 6 months of the allowance that was allocated to support you while you remained at school. That money has continued to accrue."

I smiled to myself. "I thought you would be able to keep track of me if I kept using it. I knew you must have known I landed here after leaving the pack. That's why I stopped using it.

"I am curious. How did a 16-year-old survive without any money." Holt leaned in, I was sure once again he was making notes of all this in his head.

"I lived on the streets for a short while but I got lucky and someone took me in and gave me a job and a place to stay."

"You chose to live on the street and with humans, rather than live in an apartment with an allowance." Holt looked quizzical. " I don't understand." He did look clueless.

"I prefer to be free. I couldn't be free living with the pack, in a home bought for me because I was an embarrassment. A home given to me by the mate that rejected me." I hoped my explanation was clear enough. He still looked confused.

"I didn't want to have anything to do with Damien, the Pure, or my pack. It's as simple as that." Maybe being blunt was the only way to make him understand.

He seemed satisfied with that answer. "Do you intend to continue living here with the human?"

"Yes." Holt checked the incoming messages on his phone and placed it on the table. This whole thing was making me feel ill. A dull and uncomfortable tightness started to squeeze my chest.

"I have a few more questions I need to ask you before I leave." He leaned in again, his glare burning my retinas. "Is the human your mate?"

I was surprised by the question. I really was feeling ill at this point. I didn't want to answer him. My personal business had nothing to do with The Pure and I didn't feel obliged to be cooperative. "That's none of your business. Is there anything else otherwise we're finished." And I got up from the table. I was done as far as I was concerned.

"I have more questions." Holt didn't move, he took his time choosing his words. "I'm assuming you are lovers, did you mean to mark him as your mate when you bit him." What speck of respect I had for my kind disappeared in a puff of smoke. I couldn't believe that after being rejected they would question me like this. He seemed oblivious to how inappropriate this conversation was. The PA continued like a bull in a china shop. "I can smell his blood on you, fresh blood." He sniffed the air. "...and I can smell you all over him. Have you marked him as your mate?" The PA asked again.

"No." I bellowed. I felt my blood boil. I was furious, my wolf was raging in me. My fist clenched, I wanted to punch that stupid face of his.

"Or do you just feed off of him?" That was it. My wolf leapt and landed with an almighty crash on the dining room table, growling down at the seated PA. He was completely taken aback and couldn't move a muscle. Like everyone else in my pack, they assumed I was a timid creature and so was my wolf. They were wrong on both accounts.

My wolf leaned closer to Holt's face, its red eyes glowing. His breath must have been hot against the PA's cheeks. The growl was a menacing threat that he couldn't ignore. It would have taken my wolf a split second to pounce and rip his throat open.

"Virgil are you OK down there?" James was calling from the top of the stairs. He must have heard me yelling. My wolf reluctantly retreated. I didn't need him to come down and find a wolf sitting on the dining room table about to make the PA his lunch. "I'm fine. I'll come up in a minute." What I wanted was to throw up.

Holt was visibly shaken when I looked at him again. "I want to make myself clear. The Pure have no claim over me any longer. I want nothing from them. I want nothing to do with my pack or Damien." I was trying to hold myself together. "You can leave now."

Holt got up from the chair and collected his phone off the table. He left looking a little shaky. As I was about to close the door behind him he turned and said "You will be hearing from us again." Not if I can help it I thought. Then he strode away as if having a wolf at your throat was something that happened every day and didn't faze him at all.

James came running down the stairs the minute he heard the door close. We stood staring at each other in the hallway.

"What just happened? "  James mumbled.