Chapter 69 - When push comes to shove....

"Oh..good morning." Virgil was just coming out of the bathroom dressed in a huge hoodie and sweatpants and drying his hair. He stopped suddenly when he saw Damien sitting on the bed next his small suitcase. His green eyes softened." I thought Paul or Lewis were coming to take me home."

"I'll be taking you home." It came out a little too aggressively. Damien went on more pleasantly. "I was wondering if you want to come to the main house first...for a nice breakfast. It's been a while since you've had a decent meal." He was trying to be low key. "You can have what ever you want."...he offered an incentive.

Virgil was eyeing Damien suspiciously. He'd been so distant towards him since he came back, this switch to friendliness was a bit weird. "I am tempted." He kept on drying his hair with one hand and casually throwing his clothes into the suitcase with the other. "But...I have to wait for some paper work and meds."

"I got all that done already." Virgil looked at Damien again. Hmmm...very odd.

"I'll be ready in a sec." Damien watched him as he ran a brush carefully through his hair, bent over and shook his head, sending his hair flying everywhere, then flipping it back.....hair done. It fell in a mass of of curls around his beautiful face and over his shoulders. It looked amazing but he missed his long plait.

Damien noticed that he was still walking awkwardly. Although he'd recovered he wasn't quite his old self. He was definitely thinner but just as beautiful. He didn't mind waiting, it gave him time to watch Virgil puttering around. He was one untidy bastard. Damien watched him scoop up his bathroom supplies from the vanity with one sweep of his arm and dropped them in the suitcase. Then he emptied the bottom bedside draw, which was full of books, wedging them in where ever they fit in amongst the clothes. Then patted down the mess firmly and jiggling things into place. Then he shook the suitcase for good measure so everything settled nicely, then zipped up the suitcase. "Voile, I'm ready."  Damien was seriously impressed at how untidy and disorganised he was. He'd been mesmerised by the process. It was like a piece of performance art. He suspected that Virgil's take on successful packing was that as long as the zipper could be closed it was a job well done.

"Let's go then." Damien set down the suitcase and followed Virgil out of the room. The goodbyes at the Nurses station took longer than he anticipated. There were hugs and kisses all round, telephone numbers exchanged and promises to keep in touch. Virgil seemed to make friends where ever he went, that sad, lonely 15 year old had grown into a confident man, who was generous with his emotions. Damien wasn't exactly sure why he felt proud of him, it was a weird sensation. He was jealous.

"Do you want to walk or will I take the car." Damien noticed as they reached the front door Virgil had already slowed down. He put his hand gently on his back. Damien ignored the fact he felt Virgil tense. "You look tired already."

"What's the matter with you today?" Virgil abruptly turned and looked at Damien, his green eyes wide, examining his features carefully. "Who are you? What have you done with Damien? Why are you being so nice to me...it's freaking me out." Virgil leaned in and looked directly into his eyes.  Leaned in so close that Damien felt his breath on his cheek. "Where's that surly bastard ex-mate of mine?"

Damien couldn't help but smile. "Just get in the car."

......

"You said I could order anything." Virgil was getting stuck into a huge plate of pancakes, bacon all drowning in maple syrup. He groaned and moaned with pleasure with every mouthful. He eyed Damien's bland sour dough and poached eggs with disgust.