Chapter 77 - Come Full Circle

Well, I have finally finished.  I'm really pleased, not that this is a great piece of literature but that I reached my goal of writing every day and completing a novel.   I hope the people who have followed this story enjoy the ending.  I've tried to leave the plot with no loose ends.  I think in the future I will edit it properly, cull the chapters etc.  I have ideas for a new story so I hope I can keep this up.

.....

Three years to the day was the first time Damien set eyes on me, a rather pathetic weed of a boy with zero self-confidence and at the time so deep in heat, I couldn't tell up from down. What a sight I must have been. I'm slim but strong now, back then I was skin and bones, a strong wind could blow me over. Before that day I had only seen him from a distance, the charismatic next Alpha of the pack. But the Goddess was in the mood to play silly buggers and mated us. Polar opposites sent into heat, suddenly and completely obsessed with each other. I was, until that day invisible but then he saw me....for all the wrong reasons. His coming of age turned my horrible life upside down and inadvertently pushed me into doing something I never would have done otherwise, leave the pack and find myself a better life. If nothing else the mating bond did make the boy into a man.

All the chaos that followed was the price I've had to pay to be here today. In some ways a terrible price...I still constantly think of James. I always will, he was my first love, not THE love of my life... Damien has a tight hold on that title.

So.....today is going to be a biggie. One of those days that will eventually make for a great story when I'm old and grey. I will always have bragging rites to this story.

It is Damien's 21st Birthday, in the Lycan world, not a big deal compared to coming of age but still significant. He's by far the youngest pack leader the Pure Bloods have ever had but in a short time, he has become respected and trusted by the old guard and the pack in general. Today will be a test of that loyalty.

There's to be a birthday party on the lawns of the compound, all the pack has been invited to attend. This is a first. It is unheard of for the lower-ranked members of the pack to enter this sacred place but Damien intends to be a modern leader and it starts today. He has planned a couple more surprises and it will take all his authority, his Alpha presence, to press his wishes for the future. I am to be one of those surprises.

The last few weeks have brought Damien and me closer together than I could have ever imagined. We survived another full moon with less damage done, mostly thanks to the PA forcing me into daily practice controlling my wolf. We can now say the words "I love you" freely to each other, we have become mates by choice. What happens between us is because we both want it, it isn't a biological imperative. The old bond is gone and a new one has replaced it. A bond more precious because it can be so easily broken. I think even Damien has a new respect for humans who live and love this way, not always successfully but definitely braver.

We've not gone out of our way to keep our relationship secret but then again apart from The PA, Lewis, Damien's mother, and the Guardians, we haven't told anyone. Well, that is until today, today everyone will know. The Rogue Freak will be the Alpha's mate by choice, his equal in the pack hierarchy...that will be a first as well. Damien will introduce me for the first time to the pack as his mate.

If that doesn't shock the crap out of The Pure Blood elite the next surprise will. Damien has been working with the Guardians to plan a new path for our pack. A future without a distant Monarch who can supersede our laws and restore outmoded ones at a whim. He wants to renounce all allegiance to the Homeland Pure Bloods. To make us an autonomous pack, self-sufficient, self-reliant. Now, this is a big deal, his father would have a conniption if he was still alive. He was a royalist through and through. This is mostly due to the current King's revisiting the "Honour Debt" as a favour to one of his elite....payback big time.