Chapter 21 - A cursed bond

This chapter may get an edit later.

Vote if you are enjoying the story.

.....

Damien's (PoV)

Damien sat impatiently waiting for Virgil to make an appearance. He had barely slept, replaying what had happened. How a simple plan could go south so radically was beyond him. He didn't want to think about it anymore. He just wanted the situation resolved. He'd told the PA why he had made the trip and needed to speak to Virgil. He felt better for having finally told someone.

What now, he thought as he watched Paul come out of the bedroom red faced. "He won't be coming out anytime soon. Sorry Alpha unless he can ring his human he's not co-operating."

His human, those words instantly made him angry. That human would happily screw anyone who gave him the least bit of attention, surely he he had proven that to Virgil. All he had to do was introduce himself, buy him a couple of drinks and chat him up a little and he was taking him home, the home he shared with Virgil. Why did he have feelings of such a scumbag. Is it because he was his first lover?

"No phone." Damien growled. The PA ordered some coffee and they sat in silence and waited.

A couple of hours passed before Paul broached the subject. "Perhaps you need to accept that Virgil isn't the same person who left the pack, he is stronger now. His loyalties are to his humans, not the Lycan world. He may not wish to help you."

Damien sighed loudly, the frustration visible on his face. "Fine, give him your phone. Tell me what he says."

..... 

The man that strode into the room wasn't the boy he remembered. Virgil wore all black, his braid swinging gentle across his chest as he walked his stunning green eyes ready to wage war. His pale perfectly sculptured face was defiant, showing Damien that he wasn't the weak boy who he had rejected and that he wanted to be treated with respect this time around. Damien felt his heart beat faster and his hands shook. He stuffed them in the pockets of his suit. He wasn't sure he could do this now. Everything about this was humiliating, the fact that he was still tortured with feelings for his ex-mate while Virgil felt nothing; that he had to ask for his help from the mate he had rejected; and worst of all if Virgil refused to help, his rejected mate would have the pleasure of knowing that he would be in this state of limbo forever....a satisfying revenge.

Virgil sat down across the coffee table from Damien. There was no shrinking away in fear or the appropriate reverence for his pack's Alpha.  It had never occurred to him that what had been a distressing but manageable problem would become so much worse when he was close to Virgil. He realised to late that the bond was trying to reassert itself.

.....

Virgil was resolute when it came to how he felt about the pack, perhaps less about Damien. It really annoyed him that he was attracted to him. However, all the strength he'd mustered to walk into the room was slipping away because of the pain forming in his chest. He was torn between trying to concentrate on what Damien had to say and ignoring the growing discomfort.

....'

Damien sat with his elbows on his knees his hands loosely knotted together his head down....body language...surrender. Virgil sat back, arms crossed and legs crossed...body language.... defensive. Paul sat stiffly on dining room chair he had pulled over to coffee table...body language...undetermined.

"I'll keep it simple. I'll explain everything and then you can ask me anything and I will answer truthfully." Damien's voice broke the uneasy silence. "Is that ok with you?" Virgil nodded agreement.

"I came here for your help." Damien went on and he could see Virgil's face change a little, not soften but something. "When I rejected you I thought I had good reason to. Your age, your rank, your gender...you've heard all that before." He waved his hand vaguely as if it was old news and really didn't need repeating.

"I still think it was the right thing to do." He looked directly at Virgil. He saw his jaw tighten and his gaze was a shade colder. He wasn't there to endear himself to Virgil after all, he just needed his help and they could go their separate ways..again.

"Unfortunately, the Rejection ceremony didn't work...properly." Damien shook his head as if he was talking to himself. Virgil leaned in. The pain in his chest flickered, just to remind him it was still there. He was getting curious. This was turning into a really weird conversation. Damien looked nervous, unsure of himself, a far cry from an Alpha leader. He wondered what was coming next.

Damien took a deep breath as if the words were stuck in his throat. "From the start I could...." He stopped. "Actually, the first time was before the Rejection, you were...." He drifted off in his own thoughts for a moment. He came back with a jolt and decided to just say it, no matter how awkward he felt.

"As I was saying from the start I had visions, saw images of things, dreams, I don't know what to call them. It wasn't often but when it did happen it left me surprised, shaken and the worst times....devastated."

Virgil sat back in the armchair with a sigh. He hadn't experienced anything like that. He associated the pain in his chest at that time, as a side effect of the anxiety he had felt. It had started around that time but had only happened a handful of times, it had been mildly inconvenient, like heart burn. He couldn't say that about it now. But having visions or whatever sounded a lot worse. He almost felt sorry for Damien.

Damien looked Virgil straight in his eyes...he'd come to the crunch of the matter. "Everything I saw was through your eyes." Virgil's eyes widen into saucers." Sometimes when your emotions were out of control, for a brief moment, I could see what you saw. They would come out of no where like walking into a dream. Fuck...I've never gotten use to it." He covered his face with his hands, he shuddered. It took him a moment to control himself.

"I could also feel what you felt. It's been a nightmare."

Damien got up and poured a whisky and drank it in one go. " Remember what happened in the shower at the hostel when you first moved here, why you decided to live on the street instead." He looked at Virgil, whose face turned white as a ghost. "Remember how you felt?

Virgil was standing to now, shaking like a leaf and he looked like he was about to throw up. Damien spoke quietly "I felt it too." Virgil ran out of the room his hand over his mouth.

The PA's voice made Damien jump. He'd forgotten he was there. "What ever you just reminded him of, I think convinced him you are telling the truth."

Damien nodded. "No one else could possibly now about that."

A little while later a shaken Virgil came back in the room. His eyes were red, he'd obviously been crying. "Sorry." He mumbled and sat back down. Damien poured him a whisky and handed it to him and he accepted it gladly. It was midday but he needed some dutch courage.

"As I said it's started to become a nightmare the more visions I had. Seeing and feeling things I didn't want. It has become a form of torture, a curse. Irrationally I started thinking you had cursed me somehow....I know, I know it's crazy. I felt I had to blame someone...so I blamed you." Damien was pacing the room, his wolf was agitated, it felt helpless and wanted to rip into something or someone.

"I am now the Alpha of our pack. Father became ill and I had to assume the role. With the role comes certain responsibilities. One of those is to take a mate, produce heirs." He turned to glare at Virgil. "I can not take a mate while I am still bound to you."

Virgil jumped up waving his arms. "No, no, no we are in no way bound together." At that point the pain hit again like the previous night. It tore through his chest, down his legs and arms. He fell into a crumpled heap on the carpet. His spine bent back and twisted. He screamed in agony. Damien and the PA rushed to him, trying to hold on to his shaking body as he rolled and growled, arching his back and clawing at the floor. His fangs dropped and he snapped at both of them in his pain.