Chapter 55 Die Carrot Die

Virgil (PoV)

Virgil was taking out his frustration on the carrot in front of him. He was grinding his teeth and staring at the carrot with deadly intent. The blade in his hand was slicing quickly and methodically. When he was finished, he turned his gaze to the zucchini, it to was dissected in moments. He was about to murder the potato when his phone rang. It was tilted up in front of him on the kitchen bench with a recipe for potato cakes on the screen. He tapped it and saw it was The PA.

"Hello Paul. " Virgil growled, then cleared his throat and continued in a nicer tone.   "It's nearly 9 Are you still coming for a run or are you cancelling on me?"

"It's still on but can I make it little later." Paul sounded apologetic.

"Damien keeping you busy is he? Arrive when you arrive, that's fine." He could hear raised voices in the background and a muffled groan from Paul.

"Thanks. Bye." Well that was short and sweet Virgil thought, he glared at the potato.

Damien (PoV)

The walk back to my office felt endless. The awkward silence between us was palpable. My reaction to Virgil's warm greeting had been instinctive self preservation, unfortunately it set the tone for the rest of the conversation. I could instantly see him shut down and we reverted to our old antagonistic relationship, perhaps it was for the best.

As I sat opposite him in my office waiting for the servant to finish pouring our coffee I tried to think of what I could say to soften my blunder so he wouldn't look so offended. Before I could speak Virgil broke the silence.

"I came to thank you for everything you did to save me. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for you, Paul and his men. It's hard to imagine such craziness but I suppose I really shouldn't be surprised what lengths Pure Bloods will go to to get their way. I've heard that it was one of your prospective mates that was responsible for all this."

All I could do was nod, Virgil looked sad and bitter. His beautiful face pale and his eyes full of unshed tears. I wanted to comfort him instead I sat contemplating my coffee cup. I really couldn't help but play the bastard, it was what I did well.

"Is it true she took the easy way out and killed herself." His face changed for the briefest moment his wolf came forward but he was pushed back instantly. "I'm sorry she's dead." I was surprised he was so forgiving. Then he went onto say.

"I would have liked to kill her myself. And not quickly the way poor James died. It would have been slow and painful. I would let my Wolf enjoy her lingering death." Virgil's eyes started to glow red. He was full of hate.

I was shocked at how calmly Virgil spoke. Paul had told him how Virgil's wolf snatched Nico's last moments from him and nearly took off is head with one bite. The gentle boy of 15 was long gone and he had had enough misery in his short life to become as cruel as the rest of us. I had liked that innocent boy and not just because of the bond but because he was so different from everyone else in my world.

"I'm sorry you lost your friend because of....me." I felt I had to say it even if it was only for my own sanity. From the moment I heard about what happened to James I took on board the guilt and responsibility for his death. In all honest I hated the human but Virgil loved him so he was...important. I would totally understand if he blamed me for everything that happened. "I wish I had never brought that viper into my home. I know I can't make it up to you...all I can say is I'm sorry."

Virgil looked at me for a long time saying nothing. He was trembling, his fingers curled in fists on his lap and it took all my strength not to take him in my arms. Images of the night we spent together popped in my head,  for a short while we were so close. The closeness hadn't been faked. But sitting here, I wonder if maybe I dreamt it all. I continued to sip my coffee.

"It wasn't your fault. Like me, you haven't been in control of your life for a long time, if ever." His words weren't kind or cruel. He was just stating a fact. "But I'd like things to be different from now on, at least for me. That's why I came to say thank you for everything you've done to help me, to clear the air." He went on quietly , looking at me with big sad eyes.

"As hard as I've tried to remake my life elsewhere, I always end up here and I thinking I might stay...for a while at least." He took a deep breath. " So I'm hoping we can put everything behind us.....no more bad blood between us."

Virgil waited for a response. He said he was staying. My heart started to beat faster at that bit of information. He was looking at me, waiting. "As far as I'm concerned we have nothing to resolved. The past is the past." Was all I could come up with.

It didn't look like it was the response he wanted. He gulped down the last of his coffee and stood. "I better be off then." He got to the door and stopped as if he just decided something on the spur of the moment. "Would you like to come for dinner tonight?"

The question took me totally by surprise and in my usual best form I said nothing. After a few awkward moments Virgil gave me a brief saccharine sweet smile. "OK then....... I'll take that as a no...just thought I'd ask." And he was gone.

Virgil (PoV)

When Virgil planned that conversation in his head it went differently. They were going to come away from it feeling like they could perhaps get to know each other, maybe become friends.  He didn't expect anything more from Damien.  Their one night together didn't make him fantasies about happy endings., that would be to absurd, but at least friends. They didn't have to worry about the bond affecting either of them.  Their lives were there own.  But nope Damien was a complete arsehole, so bloody cold Virgil  wondered if it was icy and not blood in his veins.  Well that teaches you another embarrassing lesson Virgil Nikola...once a dickhead always a dickhead.  And that's fine Virgil told himself, he'd taken the high road  and if he was going to stay a while he'd made his thoughts clear to him.  Damien is still the Alpha and he was still the lowborn.

Virgil called Paul.

Virgil - "It's only you and me for dinner - run first or dinner?"

The PA - "Meal first. Did Damien say No?  8ish"

Virgil - "Yep. Se'ya when I  Se'ya."