Chapter 62 - Ashes

I had to write Chapter 62 and 63 at the same time because I had a few things I wanted to say but I couldn't do it in one chapter...hope it works.  

Virgil (PoV)

I spent the morning circling the compound, making sure to keep a good distance and up wind of the Chapel. They were having some kind of funeral ceremony for Nico out of respect for his family..... the thought makes me want to puke. I fit was up to me I'd take his ashes and pour them down the nearest toilet. Paul had fluffed around for ages getting to the point the previous night before telling me the Homeland Guardian was his half brother. He came to collect his body to have him interred in home soil. Normally, Lycans have to be buried in their pack's territory, it guarantees they join their ancestors and reincarnate. My revenge made that impossible and Paul had left those details out of the report...for my sake. So when the Guardian suddenly arrived and discovered there was no body...the shit hit the fan.

From what I gather the family and The Guardian himself were pissed that he was cremated....a dishonour to Nico and his arse-wipe family. As if I could give a shit. I hoped he was burning in hell. I circled the Chapel watching the comings and goings. I spotted the Homeland Guardian's flash car as it arrived, with an entourage of four guards milling around him. From where I stood I could see the same baring as Nico but larger and the aura was visible even from a long way away. It was dark like a thunder storm. I can smell their Homeland scent. It felt like an invasion. I don't have any loyalty to the Pure Blood Pack it was more a case of the devil you know. As I walked around thought how different this ceremony was from James' funeral...that one was full of love. I miss him. For the first seconds of every morning I forget he's gone and then like a recurring nightmare I remember he's gone and the pain is fresh again. This one farce of a ceremony...well...I spat in the direction of the Chapel and raised middle finger....really do hope Nico is burning in hell the bastard. If I knew I could kill him again in hell I would gladly join him.

....

The Guardians stood together. The next to enter the Chapel were Damos and his Luna. Then came Lewis and an attendant of the Homeland Guardian, they took their place on either side of the entrance. Last of all came Guardian Doukas and The Alpha. An intense cold arrived with the presence of Guardian Doukas filling the Chapel until every one shivers and their breathes came in puffs of smoke.

If it was possible to hear the thoughts of the people in the room they would have varied wildly. Damos wanted to get out of there as quickly as possible and not have to make conversation with the Homeland Guardian, desperate to avoid any blame falling on him. The PA stomach squirmed with disgust....this ceremony for a hired assassin galled him. The Alpha, if he could, would have sent Guardian Doukas packing after their first abhorrent conversation. As for Doukas himself, he felt the dishonour to his brother, his family and his pack in his very bones. This was by no means made amends for defiling his body like this.

The Alpha stood to one side of the Guardians. The Homeland Guardian was alone in the centre. His aura was dark and pulsating.

The Chapel Tattac Guardian came forward and stood in front of him, it would have been a comical sight under different circumstances. The Guardian was a short, round man, dressed in in full robes. He barely reached Guardian Doukas chest. He was visibly nervous, clasping and unclasping his hands. However, he took his duties very serious and bowed low as a sign of respect for both the man and Homeland Pack.

"Unfortunately, at the time of his death he was a unknown Lycan, with no name or pack. Our laws forbade him being buried with our ancestors here in the Chapel. As far as we knew he would never be claimed. This was the only option left to us." He spoke respectful. The Chapel Guardian disappeared briefly through the door leading down in the caverns below, returning with a black marble cylindrical urn. The lid was metal and carved with the head of a wolf. It held no name.

"I greet you on behalf of the Goddess and although we could not prepare the body of Nico Doukas as required by the Rule of Law we atone for the offence and in good will offer a blessing from the Goddess upon his Ashes."

The Guardian held it up under the central light and "Goddess in your infinite mercy hold tight to your breast the wolf spirit of Nico Doukas, comfort and sustain him until he returns stronger and more powerful in the next life." He handed the urn to Guardian Doukas.

The Homeland Guardian's hands trembled as he took the urn. His jaw clenched continuously as he tried to hold back his emotions, a mix of anger and grief. He let out a low continuous growl that vibrated around the Chapel.

"To end like this and not in buried in home soil is a dishonour to a great soldier" He mumbled as he abruptly turned and left. He and his attendant disappeared into the daylight leaving the rest to share anxious looks. The Chamber started to return to normal and every suddenly breathed a little easier.

.....

Everyone let out a sigh of relief as they stepped out into the fresh air and sunshine. The Chapel had been an oppressive ice box. Guardian Doukas's gloomy aura had left them all feeling anxious. His car was still sitting in front of the Chapel, the dark windows rolled up. Damos and his Luna rushed off as quickly as they could but the rest remained talking for a few minutes. Eventually leaving only The Alpha and Paul.

Conscious of the car still within ear shot they spoke quietly. Paul explaining that he went through the whole situation with Virgil, especially after his flat was broken into. He'd been horrified that Doukas and Nicos were siblings. Paul suspected that behind his bravado, he was afraid, what he had been through was still fresh in his mind.

"Paul may I have a word." A deep voice broke into their conversation. The car door was open and Guardian Doukas leant out. "I have one last small request to make before I leave. I was wondering if I could see you in your office later this evening. It will only take a few minutes." The Guardian smiled, it was a cold smile that thinned out his lips but didn't reach his eyes. The gloom still hung around him. "Will 6be alright?" Paul agreed. "I'm sure you'll find it interesting." Once again the image of a deadly spider settling back ready to pounce came to his mind. The car moved off and both the men watched it as it passed through the gate. They were deep in their own thoughts, the uneasiness that they had both felt in the Chapel still lingering like a dark cloud over them.

....

Later that evening, around the time The PA was finishing off some paper work as he waited for Guardian Doukas to arrive, there was a knock on the door of his apartment. Then at the moment when Doukas arrived promptly for his appoint, Virgil opened the door to find two of Paul's Lieutenants. The seconds it took for the Guardians to greet each other with a handshake, was all it took for Virgil to realise he'd made a mistake.