Chapter 27 - First Kiss

I added the rest of the chapter.  I was really torn which way this should go.  A toss up between predictable plot line or throw in a bit of a lusty plot twist.

Votes are appreciated, they keep the story alive.

"The bond doesn't discriminate or distinguish between the souls it pairs."  A nice line that kept me awake last night.

....

The kiss ended and our lips parted after what seemed an eternity. Damien's hand slipped from my neck. His thumb gently traced my mouth, staring at it as if it was the most precious thing he'd ever touched. His other arm dropped away and I suddenly felt bereft. I could hear voices around us, angry ones. We were in our own little bubble.

"Do you know what that was?" I was confused. What was he talking about? He held my gaze. I felt a tug on my shoulder, someone grabbing my hand but that was all going on in another universe.

"Um...a kiss." I mumbled. A heartbreaking kiss.

"Not just a kiss." He cupped my face. "Before I came of age I knew exactly what my mate would be like. A beautiful woman, with a soft body I could melt into, she would be my comfort and joy, always. But when I came of age, I  found it was you, a boy, you were wrong in every way. But you were chosen by the divine for me, apparently the bond doesn't discriminate or distinguish between the souls it pairs."

"That kiss can only belong to you. The visions never let me forget that. My first kiss for my true mate. I could never give it to someone else." He let me go completely and stood back. His face the picture of resignation.

"Your first kiss!" I stared at him blankly. Did I hear that right? The intimidating, powerful Pure Blood Alpha was...seriously.

......

I dropped my backpack by the front door. There was something about doing such a simple thing that spelled the end of my time here. I would be home soon. It was all over and I could get on with my life. I'm not sure why it also made me feel sad.

It had been an eventful few days, Paul was coming later to say goodbye and give me my plane tickets. There was no talk of seeing Damien before I left so I assumed once again I was being packed off quietly.

I can't say I felt any different but I'm sure that the bond was broken...because of the kiss. There was no pain, I'd lost my breath only because the kiss had been especially good and not because my chest felt like it was in a vice. When he kissed me I was shocked because firstly the most unimaginable thing had just happened and secondly I'd enjoyed it. The man I had blamed for all the crap in my life had made my blood boil...in a good way. While back with the Lycans the hate I had associated with Damien wasn't there gnawing at me as it had in the past, yes he was aloof and scary but I didn't hate him anymore. Finding out he had suffered far more than me over the years perhaps softened my feelings for him. I've discovered pity can dull sharp edges. As for my feelings for the pack and The Pure, they definitely hadn't changed. Damos had shown his true colours at the ceremony and proven my assessment of him was correct.

After the kiss, while I was still confused, Damos leapt between me and Damien like a madman.  He was furious and surprisingly fast for a man recovering from a stroke.  The look he gave me spoke volumes. I had seen that same look of disgust all my life. When his open palm landed on my cheek the sting was intense and my vision took a few moments to clear. I would have received a second blow if Paul hadn't stepped in front of me and caught the worst of it. Damien dragged his father away, while his mother screamed for him to be gentle with his father.

Paul drove me back after the ceremony. The last I saw of Damien and his parents they were arguing. Damos was making it perfectly clear he wasn't happy with his son's behaviour"....lowering yourself to kiss that scum when he was no longer your mate. At least you had an excuse then, but now...what were you thinking?" Damien on the other hand was reminding his father who he was speaking to. For the first time, I saw clearly the pressure Damien must have been under to reject me as a mate and replace me with a female pure blood from an elite family.

My backpack sat at the front door...looking at me. It's weird how a thing like that means the end of everything. I really needed to relax, and safe or not, I was going out for a run. I changed, picked up my phone texted Paul that I was going for a run grabbed keys and I was out of there.

.....

There was a light drizzle of rain, warm and pleasant on my skin as I ran. Looking along the street I noticed nothing much had changed. One boxy apartment block after another. I jogged along the wide path that ran along the river. The apartment blocks line one side for as far as I could see before the river narrowed and turned left just beyond the bridge. The other side was still mostly lush parkland. At this time of day there were always flocks of cockatoos circling and coming down to roost for the night in the huge pine trees. Later in the night the bats would fly back from where they had been sleeping all day to feed and chatter. Under different circumstances I would have thought that this was a beautiful scene but I had so many bad memories of this place it will always be a shit hole to me.

I wrapped my hair up tightly and pulled my hoodie over my head and started running faster. I was lost in thought, about James and Lola. I worried a little about Kevin hoping he wasn't working himself into the ground because I wasn't there to help. I thought about Damien and the kiss...how with any other man a kiss like that would have lead to a lot more. It's a shame that breaking the bond didn't also give me amnesia, wipe away the memories of being on heat and wanting him.  Every time I look at him they creep into my thoughts. The memories may not be the real thing but they still have the ability to make my heart race and my cock twitch. I shook my head and ran faster. My leg muscles were burning I concentrated on that, instead of being horny....where was James when you needed him.

I finally noticed the sound of someone running behind me at a distance but getting faster.  It snapped me out of my daydreaming and I realised it had gotten dark.  It was time to go back the way I'd come.

I stopped to catch my breath, leaned against the railing to enjoy the cool breeze coming off the river. I turned to look at the person running towards me and as they got closer I realised it was Paul. I don't know what surprised me more that it was him or that he wasn't in his men in black suit, instead a pair of running shorts and top. My gay took over...wow he was better built than I thought...yum.