Chapter 51 - Send in the Cavalry

Finally got through this bit of the story.   I love the tunnels but it's harder to write about than I thought.  I think there are a lot of typos but as it's 1.30 in the morning and I'm knackered I can't be bothered fixing them now.   Goodnight.

PS Just fixed up the last paragraph.  I think the chapter is ok for the time being.

THE PA POV

Midnight.

I tracked the scent for about half a mile through park land and along a storm water ditch to the entrance of the underground drainage tunnel. That was approximately 6.30 and it was still light. Joggers and people walking their dogs were still using the paths around the parks. I retreated to a safer distance covering my scent the best I could hoping the kidnapper wouldn't venture outside the tunnel any time soon. We found a couple of rooms for the night at a local pub and settled in to make our plans. What was happening to Virgil was constantly on my mind. I updated Damien.

Our plan was simple, as we had no idea where along the maze of tunnels, culvert and chambers Virgil had been taken, we were going in our wolf form. Our eyesight was more suited for darkness than our human form, no torches need. We ran faster, could manoeuvre better. Once inside we would have to work it out as we went, we had little choice and not time for more elaborate plans.

Just on midnight, the park was silent, there were no lights in the area around the tunnel entrance. Shedding our clothes, except for a single small silver blade, sheathed and on a leather strap around our necks....we let our wolves free. The conveniently putrid litter that lay in drifts either side of the small stream of water running from the drain was perfect for us to roll and cover our scent. Our fur wet and fowl smelling, our eyes glowing silver, we entered the tunnel.

.....

Virgil's Pov

Virgil's eyes became accustomed to the dim light of the two small kerosene lamps. He could make out some details in the chamber they were in. Graffiti decorated the walls in patches. He couldn't see the roof, it disappeared into the darkness and so did each end of cavernous room. The only sounds were the constant dripping and trickling of the stream through the chamber making it's way slowly to the river somewhere at the end of one of the endless tunnels.

He had been sitting in the same uncomfortable hunched position for hours and desperately needed to pee. Virgil had no idea what time it was, if it's day or night. He couldn't even tell how long they'd been there. His mind kept going back to James, was he really dead. His wolf whimpered. If he was it was his fault. He'd bought this nut job down on their heads.

Nico hadn't moved either. He'd sat down against the wall opposite and hadn't budged. Every now and then he looked in Virgil's direction. It's hard to imagine what such a person, a cold calculated murderer would be thinking. He'd put on such a good act. Virgil had thought he was such a nice guy...what a fool he was. I lead him right to James....OMG James. The tears started falling again. He'd never felt such pain, the idea of losing James was worse than anything he had ever felt physically or mentally and he'd been through some shit, he knew about pain. His wolf growled in their shared pain. It just couldn't be true. "Cut me a hundred times, rip off a limb he pleaded...Goddess I'll endure anything to have James still be alive. He cried harder and the sobs filled the hollow chamber. Nico looked at him and Virgil lifted his head to glare back at him. I'd kill you in a second if I had the chance you bastard he thought to himself. His wolf vowed he would rip out his throat.

"I need to pee." His voice flat, emotionless when he couldn't hold it any longer. Virgil half expected Nico to let pee his pants, instead Nico got up quickly and moved towards him, for a second Virgil wished he hadn't said anything. This Nico, unlike the one who he had dinner with and joked around with, was menacing. Mostly because he was expressionless and moved like a machine but also because Virgil knew he couldn't read him at all, he was unpredictable.