✦ chapter thirty eight.

ೃ༄ "i'm busy training new recruits, what do you need?"✧──────✧

✧──────✧

f/n stood before a group of 300 new recruits, observing them as they train. their hands rested behind them as their glare hardened the more they watched the pathetic stances of the new recruits. she let out a heaved sigh and said, "you all look like a bunch of wet chicks. you lot are the saddest bunch i had the opportunity to train... line up properly!" the recruits scrambled around and stood in 4 lines, standing straight as f/n walked around them.

earlier during the day, her father had tasked her to train the new recruits while they are at a peacetime, to prepare them in case of war. so here she was now, watching and training the new recruits.

she turned around and grabbed a bow and arrow, aiming it to the top where a long wooden pole stood. she shot the arrow to the highest part of the pole before eyeing the group, "who is brave enough to go first?" no one spoke, but she heard a snicker coming from their direction. the rest backed away, while the person who snickered stood in place. she smirked as she eyed the man, "i see we have our first candidate." she tossed a rope towards him as the man caught it as he said, "heh, piece of cake."

"before you act all cocky, take these with you." f/n handed him two round weights for him to hold onto while climbing up the wooden pole, the man grabbed the weights and immediately lost his balance from how heavy it was. f/n could tell that the man thought it would be impossible to go up with heavy weights, but he still walked towards the pole and tried to climb up. however, his efforts were unsuccessful. f/n let out a sound of annoyance as they said, "hmph, partner up. i need to see your combat skills."

"yes, colonel l/n!"

the recruits chose their partners and were ready to spar as f/n signaled them to start. the recruits started sparring with their partners, though it was more like a chicken fight and they do not have proper stances or postures. f/n rubbed her temples as she mumbled, "we're going to have a long training... stop!" the group immediately stopped and lined up into four lines once again, staying silent as f/n glared at them. she grabbed a bunch of wooden wasters and tossed it to them as she said, "i shall polish your swordsmanship skills first, starting with the basic attacks. hold your wasters properly, we're starting with the oberhau."

"an oberhau is the simple strike from above. start with your feet positions. your left foot must be the leading foot and your right is to the back, your weight must evenly be distributed. at this position, you must hold your sword to a shoulder level and your hips must be facing the opponent." instructed f/n as she stood in position, the recruits mirroring her movements. "next, when you attack, you must bring your right foot forward as you swing your sword and hit your opponent."

minutes or hours have passed as f/n trained the new recruits until she decided to give them a short break, "15-minute break! use your time wisely, i do not want to see any of you slacking off." the recruits nodded as they exclaimed, "yes, colonel l/n!" f/n walked a little further from the camp and brought her phone out, only to see a missed call from ace. she unlocked her phone and dialled his number as she waited for him to pick up, which he immediately did.