✦ chapter sixty five.

ೃ༄ "thank you for making my sister happy

ೃ༄ "thank you for making my sister happy..."
✧──────✧

it was already midmorning as f/n stirred in their sleep, though their head still rested on the dragon fae's chest. malleus was up all night, it was not like he needed some rest anyway. he also made sure to stay awake in order to be able to help f/n in case they'll get another nightmare.

however, his time in their room remained peaceful as the first year laid quietly on top of him. the first year still stayed asleep, which worried some of the other residents. a knock came through the door before it was opened to reveal lilia, silver, and sebek.

"beloved l/n, it's almost 10 in the morning. why are thou not aw— malleus?"

lilia's eyes widened as soon as he spotted the dorm head in the room. silver and sebek's jaw dropped as they eyed the sleeping first year on top of him. "my oh my, what have we walked into?" questioned lilia as he chuckled. malleus placed a finger on his lips as a signal to hush them, "quiet... she's still asleep."

f/n groaned in their slumber before rubbing their eyes and sitting up, glancing at the dragon fae with a smile. "you stayed...—oh! my apologies! i did not mean to sleep on top of you!" exclaimed f/n. malleus shook his head and ruffled their hair, "why are you embarrassed? it's not a problem. i'm more than willing to accompany you if you can't sleep at night."

f/n nodded slightly before turning to look at the doorway. her eyes widened as soon as she saw lilia, silver, and sebek. "w-what are you doing in here?" asked the first year. "we came to check on you, since you don't usually sleep all the way to 10 in the morning..." replied silver, still shocked from their recent discovery.

i mean, he did see the woman of his dreams sleeping peacefully with his master.

"n-n/n... why are you sleeping with the young master?!" exclaimed sebek, wide-eyed. "i couldn't sleep last night and he came to visit," replied f/n, "...let's drop the subject. please give me time to prepare myself before i head downstairs to have breakfast with you all."

"...as you wish, beloved."

...

f/n sat on their assigned seat as they listened to lilia talk about the upcoming event— happy beans day. "happy beans day will occur around a week from now. i can't wait to see which team each of us lands on, fufu." spoke lilia. f/n was slowly zoning out as her mind started reminiscing old memories that she tried to run away from.

...

"you will be working with s.t.y.x. organization for the meantime, my dear f/n."

f/n's eyes widened as she replied, "p-pardon? father, how did you land me a spot in there? don't they usually not allow outsiders to be included in their private work?" vincent smiled as he patted the eldest l/n's shoulder, "they requested for one assistance from military officers or members, so i immediately took the spot for you. come on, it will help you learn more and you might meet new friends."

"friends... forget it, father... i'm only there for a job," responded f/n before saluting, "...as you wish, major general l/n. i shall visit the s.t.y.x. facility immediately." vincent hummed as he said, "that's the spirit. stay safe, f/n. i know you can handle it. you are quite strong, after all."

"...by the way, father, is the current head aidon shroud?" asked f/n. vincent nodded as he replied, "yes. worry not, she knows you." f/n blinked and said, "...right. i'll head off now."

later on, f/n arrived on the island of woe and managed to enter the hidden place. their eyes scanned the beautiful architecture of the city before clearing their throat and straigtening their coat. they walked around until an armored being stood before them and saluted, "lieutenant l/n, charon division reporting for duty. welcome to island of woe. please follow me to the main facility."

f/n nodded and trailed behind the armored officer— however, f/n does not sense a human being under the suit as she observed the officer. '...is this not human? what could he be then?' thought f/n.

...

"captain shroud! i am in need of back up!"

"the charon division are now assisting you, lieutenant l/n!"

a failed experiment. one of the subjects fell into overblot once again and this time, they were more powerful than when they first had their overblot.

it did not help f/n's case that the person who fell into overblot was miles, a childhood friend of hers and her younger sister. not to mention, she was aware that her little sister harboured feelings for the said childhood friend.

f/n hesitantly held onto her staff as the voice of her younger sister echoed in the back of her head, recalling the memories where her sister would gush about miles.

'nee-san! nee-san! miles is a wonderful guy, isn't he?'

'he makes me laugh and he always brings me flowers and honey!'

'look, nee-san... miles got me some baked treats~ but, i won't share with you! haha, kidding!'

'i can't wait for the day where miles and i are to be wed.'

'he proposed to me, nee-san!'

f/n felt her eyes pool with tears as she thought, 'i'm so sorry, aelyn... i should've done better to prevent him to fall into overblot a second time... forgive me... there's no other way left than to eliminate him...'

"lieutenant l/n! experimental subject a is materializing a powerful spell! please watch out!" exclaimed aidon as she and the charon division sent out attacks to send the fallen fae back into their natural state.

"...captain shroud, there's no way back for someone who fell into a second overblot..." replied f/n as they immediately wiped their tears away and regained their air of authority.

"...lieutenant... very well, i understand."

f/n raised a hand to signal for aidon and the charon division to stop sending attacks, "allow me..." aidon nodded and moved to the side as she covertly casted a protection spell on f/n.

"...miles, my sincerest apologies... please, rest in peace now... thank you for making my sister happy..." whispered f/n before waving off their staff as their eyes glowed purple. "devoid of life and immortality, i now send thee to thy final breath!"

— ❝demise by thorns!

the overblot fae fell to his knees before losing his consciousness, only to be never woken up again. his corpse immediately disintegrated into golden flakes before disappearing into the breeze.

f/n heaved heavy breaths as tears rolled down their cheeks, unable to believe that they killed their childhood friend, their sister's fiancé with their own hands.

...

"—astie? n/n? f/n? lieutenant colonel l/n? answer me," called lilia, whilst silver shook her shoulder. f/n snapped out of her trance and looked at the four with wide eyes. they all looked at the first year with worry as sebek asked, "n/n... why are you crying?"

f/n touched their cheek and felt a wet stain before wiping it off, "c-crying? no... i wasn't... my apologies for making you worry... please continue enjoying your meal." the four frowned as silver, who was seated beside her, intertwined his hand with hers.

"n/n... you can tell us if something is bothering you," spoke silver in a hushed tone in an attempt to comfort the first year. f/n weakly smiled for a split second before replying, "i'm alright... certain things are just haunting me again... anyway, i have heard of this happy beans day... when are we going to determine our group?"