199:anything

She smirked at his answer. Her face was illuminated by the soft glow of the dwindling night life and his heart skipped another beat as she placed the hot drink in his hands. "I knew you didn't like Americano. The guys told me you didn't." She took his drink, sipping on it and he relaxed, fully accepting her drink as his own when she didn't make a face a at the bitter taste.

"They did?" JieMi's brows furrowed. Of course, they knew, they were the ones to introduce coffee to him at 16. But why would she ask about him? Why would she want to know about him after everything? She should hate him. She must hate him. Amber seemed to have read his expression because she answered him without another word.

"Wanted to know more about you so I asked. They told me you liked omelettes with cheese and bacon for breakfast. And you liked it extra cheesy and extra salty." He flushed, biting his lips. He did. He liked food that was strong on the tongue and maybe that was why he could swallow down the food she'd made for him. Maybe that was why it didn't taste like ash to his tongue, like all the other meals he'd been having for weeks. "But there were somethings that they argued over, things they didn't know. Like your favourite colour."

"Black." He answered quickly, although his mind hovered over peach and gold, maybe amber.

"Mmm, a simple sophisticated choice." Amber hummed, nodding quickly. "Coffee or beer?"

JieMi furrowed his brows, nibbling on his lips. "Depends?" He made a face.

"Chore you hate?"

"Scrubbing the toilet."

JieMi used to get that a lot when he was naughty. The guys would give him that chore as punishment for being hot-headed or stubborn. Those were simpler days, days when a quick punishment like washing the toilet could earn him their forgiveness. His face fell a little at the thought. He wouldn't mind washing the toilet a hundred times as long as Amber could forgive him.

"Forests or beaches?"

"Beaches."

He had a dream of walking along the coast with the love of his life, sink his toes into the sand and pick seashells as the sun rose into the sky. But Ha-Eun didn't like sand, she hated it. She hated a lot of things.

"Day or Night?"

"Day."

The nights were always too long and he couldn't sleep, his mind always filled with thoughts and regrets. At least in the day when he had work, he could pretend and forget. Pretend that everything was okay. Pretend that he hadn't tried to kill his soulmate. Pretend that he was okay. At night, there was no point pretending, not with only himself and his shadow in his room. And his tears would flow freely then.

"Favourite food right now?"

"Apple pie."

Amber stopped with her questions then her eyes widening. "That's really popular in IDOL. I'll have to bake it, one day, just to satisfy everyone's cravings. Seriously." JieMi swallowed thickly, pressing his lips together. And the words spilled from his lips before he could stop them.

"That's because you smell like apples." She froze then, turning to him with a brow raised and he panicked, his chest tight as he wondered if that was the right thing to say. Or if he could say those words.

"I guess I do, they tell me that all the time too. Is it bad?" She sniffed at her hair, taking the strands between her fingers. And JieMi longed to take those strands to his lips and inhale, burry his face into her neck and drench himself in her beautiful, beautiful smell. To rub himself over her so that she would smell like him too, to mark her and make her his—Hold on, that was a strange thought.