305: chapter 7 pt 4

Safety was a lie; the walls were wolves in sheep's skin. It seemed to be a barrier against evil, but now it felt like a trap. Barricades of fortification. Fences against monsters. There was no way out of this space, and that made things ever more horrifying. A jail cell for two— meat clasped between thongs for the sea of piranhas. A sacrifice to demons.

Her JieMi needed space, he needed a can of oxygen to support his body—an item that was always available at their concerts. He needed medical support, a place to lie down, ice on his neck. He needed water. He needed air. What he didn't need was a tiny cubicle meant for one and hordes of people banging at the door.

His crazy fans were cruel.

And they would always be.

Amber watched as JieMi wheezed; his head was pressed against the plastic door, heavy with vertigo. He blinked a few times, eyes squeezed and opened as he tried to see. Then he swallowed air as if his life depended on it.

A struggling puff of oxygen that he gulped down again and again like a fish out of water. She was losing him to the inadequacies of his overtaxed body. And God, her mind leapt to horrific imageries of athletes, dead from exertion, heart attacks from marathons, death from overheat.

"Lean back," she beseeched, then she stood shakily, the pain rippled sharp and steady in her middle. It didn't scare her, because her mind jumping swiftly to JieMi. "N-No sit down."

He stopped her with a firm hand to her arm, patted it as he bent over, pale faced and sweaty. He managed a smirk and a heavy, reassuring squeeze of her shoulder. A soft noise of protest escaped his throat when she tried to give him her seat.

"JieMi, you look like you're going to keel over any second."

His skin was almost green, the red from exertion had vanished, replaced by a purpled blue, then a sickly green. She didn't think people were serious when they described the change of colour on skin. But she could see the hues of sick on his flawless face in the swath of light.

He was not okay.

"Y-you sit," he beseeched, thumbs rubbing against the scratch on her cheek. He coughed, closing his eyes to steady himself, then opened them again as he pinched the heaviness of tenderness from his neck. "You were on the ground." He knelt, hands moving up her sides, pressing and feeling. "Hurt?" he murmured out; words sloppy with exhaustion.

He dug deeper into her sides, fingers spanning her belly. She winced when a spot stung, flinched at that a burn that thudded from her belly button and sympathy radiated from his eyes. JieMi didn't seem to care that his eyes were glazed and blank from the lack of oxygen, or the fact that he was seeing green kaleidoscopes in the air. All he cared about was figuring out how many bruises she had on her body, and how much pain she was in.

But was she even in pain?

Amber could barely feel it with all that adrenaline pumping through her veins. The stitch weaving through her sides and the gong like chant of fans screeching from behind the wooden door distracted her from bodily issues. Some part of her subconsciousness told her that there was pain lingering within her somewhere. But she was sure it was just flesh wound, injuries from the accidental trips over her prone body.

She was fine, but JieMi was not.

A surprisingly miraculous statement that pumped her body with God-like energy. It was a minor blessing that the door was designed with the smallest of slits where it kissed the floor. The heavy wood was thick and large for privacy. Perfect for their situation. Otherwise, they would be seeing fingers and phones stuffed through the cracks for a glimpse of her soulmate, hands reaching for a touch.