283:pom pom

Amber had enough of this bullshit. She resisted the need for a witty comeback, squeezing Casper's hand once more, she smiled giving his mother a million-dollar, service counter worthy grin. The one reserved for rude older women.

"I cook. I clean and I can make an amazing steak and potatoes."

His mother glanced at her, pretending to just notice her presence. "How simple..." his mother drawled.

"Oh, I'm fantastic at Asian food. I can make teishoku for breakfast, prata for lunch and Cantonese steamed fish for dinner if Casper wanted," she bit out.

She left out the fact that Hikaru was a hundred times better at her in making anything Japanese. Oliver was certified amazing at Cantonese food because of a previous job at a restaurant. And they only got authentic prata from a famous Indian food store a few blocks down the street. She could make it, sure, only if she tried. But the nasty woman didn't need to know that.

"Surely, mostly pre-packaged and canned," she sneered.

How the fuck do you preserve prata?

"Oh, I know how to make it from scratch," she smiled. Then lost it as she continued to speak. "I'll have you know that I plan to handmake all weaning meals for my baby when it's a toddler and will only breastfeed it until it's fully weaned."

The woman went quiet at her words, scanning Amber with her radar-like eyes. And Amber's heart thumped hard at her questioning gaze. "And exactly what will you make for this child?" she interrogated with a mock lilt in her voice.

"Natto for health. A different mashed carb, protein and vegetable. Fruit for every meal. And something for texture play so it learns to use its hands." In her head, Amber was a controllable character bouncing on its feet as it faced the enemy, and she'd just launched a triple high kick to this damned woman. Thank God for all those baby reality TV shows.

"Your mother is Japanese?" Translation: I know it's a Japanese custom to handmake food for your baby, so you must be trained and peer pressured to do so.

"No, I'm just ridiculously determined to raise my child properly, if I have a child." It wasn't necessary for such dedication, and she knew that canned baby food was perfectly fine. But Amber wanted to do this for her future children that she already loved dearly. Plus, her in-laws seemed to love it when she was overly committed to child rearing.

"If you have a child," his mother echoed. "So you don't want one?"

God, Amber struggled to keep her real thoughts from exploding through her system. "I believe in being mentally ready for children. I'll take classes. And we don't have our home prepared, we're looking to buy one with a better environment." She smirked, knowing full and well that she was winning the argument. "Possibly a good nursery school that's close by."

"So that you can dump the child?"

"Like you?" she snapped out and then paled, realising that she'd fucked up, but still pressed on because she was already this close to ripping Casper's mother a new asshole. The audible gasp echoed but Amber couldn't hear it with the blood churning in her head. "It's good to start learning and making friends from a young age. But if the child doesn't want to study until it's of age, it won't need to study!"

The woman snorted, shaking her head. "A waste, but I suppose with your genes, it doesn't matter." Amber bristled, understanding her words to be attacks against her IQ. Oh fuck, Amber

"No, it's because I believe a happy child needs to play and have fun with its mother and father." She stepped forward, glowering up at Casper's mother. "So that it won't grow up, aloof and separated from its family." Like Casper. The woman's eyes narrowed. "So that it will learn and find passions and hobbies. So that it will grow happy and loved, and know that pursuing one's dreams in life should be applauded." Her skin burned as she grew more agitated. "So that it will understand what a real family should be like!"