288:too

Crazy bitch.

She wouldn't say that out loud for fear of the ancestors that hovered over her existence in the astral plane. But that didn't mean those words didn't repeat in her head, screaming voicelessly in the crevice of her mind as she gave Crazy Grandmother a polite grin. She had used it enough times when faced with paparazzi desperate to shoot her down with ridiculous questions.

But there weren't many, most were more concerned over IDOL's plans for revival. Amber knew now that it was all thanks to Claudia and her company. What she once assumed was kindness from the people, she now knew was silence bought by money.

No. Was what her head had told her to say, a firm word of denial for a non-existent child that should be her top priority. Her soulmates wanted those children, they would protect them just as she should. But her heart quivered and the words that spewed from her mouth was 'we'll think about it,' as if she would even consider the notion.

Her chest had grown tight at her own words, and she opened her mouth wanting to say 'no'. She should have, Amber decided as she rode the elevator down. She should have said 'no', it would have lessened the guilt that now popped in spurts of unwanted clouds in her head. No. No. No.

Amber's mind jolted, her memory surged free. Don't tell Casper, Crazy Grandmother had interrupted with a heavy thump of her fist on the armrest. Or your soulmates. I will know if you tell them, trust me the consequences will be dire.

She didn't have to tell her that. Amber knew it too.

Amber's lips parted as the old lady sipped on red wine, looking far less fragile than when she'd first seen her. And fuck Amber had liked her for the five minutes into their meeting. That marvellous first impression of a frail, sweet lady who enjoyed nude art had gone straight into the trash. A crazy bitch had metamorphosized in her place, a moth instead of what could be a butterfly.

It would be impossible to completely convince seven men, the elderly lady had explained as if she were a small idiotic child, swishing ice within glass. It made a pretty sound that echoed too loudly in the deathly silent room. Opinions deviate, especially for the biological father and their parents. Some will dissuade you, it will make things difficult. For you. And for me. Amber's breath had hitched in her throat, and an incredulous smirk had danced across her cheeks.

Then how do you expect me to hand the child over to you like that?

A wrong question. It exposed too much, it gave Crazy Grandma false hope. Hope that Amber should have dashed in the beginning, stood and left, ran back into Casper's arms. This is different, her head had told her. Your soulmates' success. Your soulmates' dreams.

I have my ways. You will not need to do anything. The older lady's eyes had sharpened, obsidian so sharp it seemed to slice. Your soulmates will be spared from the pain of knowing if you work with me. Your innocence in the matter is ensured, so choose wisely. She crooked a finger at the servant that flanked her side and he handed a business card to Amber.

You may contact me.

Amber wouldn't. She couldn't. How could she? But even now, her soul wavered. The lack of a firm 'no' throbbed guiltily at the back of her throat. She needed to say something, but even then her voice was stuck in her throat. And her skin burned with awareness of the criminal that shared her space. She couldn't even look at Claudia, now that she knew that she was her.

Amber didn't want to be here, and every damn cell in her body bristled for out.

For now, I require a blood test, Grandmother had said. Servants moved, a suitcase was placed on the table revealing medical equipment and a syringe. Amber squeezed her eyes shut as one wiped her arm with an alcohol swab, and another stuck a hypodermic needle into her arm. They worked quickly and efficiently, something she suspected was due to the matriarch that watched them like a hawk.