289: together

"I can give you a job too! If you want that, in exchange. I could give you some of the shares. S-so if you just—"

The elevator door opened and Amber tore out, heels clicking against the asphalt as she brushed past the hordes of people swarming the car park. Claudia chased after her, calling her name as she went, the desperation growing in her voice. Amber squeezed her eyes shut, begging to god that she would get the fuck out of her life.

"Ambrosia, please—" The cord snapped in her chest and she burned, turning her head back to screech at her with so much hatred she couldn't recognize her own voice.

"I'm not your fucking toy!" she snarled, biting out the words so viciously that it hurt her throat and burned her lungs. The people gasped, shock colouring the crowd. And Claudia stood at the centre, eyes wide, lips trembling. The murmurs started and now Amber was the villain. Amber was the criminal. Amber was the murderer.

Amber turned, breaking into a sprint. She twisted through the crowd, breaking free from the bubbles of heat to be scooped by the sweet cold air of freedom. She panted as she ran, her hair dipping before her vision. She twisted past another corner, wiping the sweat from her forehead as she reached for her phone slowing into an almost jog. She cursed when it didn't turn on, completely dead to the world.

Fuck! She needed Casper. She needed her soulmates. She needed comfort, reassurance, love. Her eyes pricked with warmth. She wanted the hatred out. She wanted the fear out. She didn't want to feel so, so...Ugly.

Her eyes momentarily left the road as she moved forth, feet stomping across the asphalt, blind to her surroundings due to her emotions. She almost fucked up when flashing headlights grazed over her body and the car screeched to a dangerous halt. The driver had slammed the breaks, the sound ripping through the air like a knife through butter. And she glanced up, horror snapping her back into reality.

Fuck.

What the fuck was she doing?

The car door slammed and familiar faces stepped out, people that made her realise the clamp of her jaw and the energy boiling in her body. Her throat lurched as Oliver and MinJae stormed forth, Casper sliding out at a much slower pace. Her heart pounded as they descended upon her, knowing full and well that they were going to be mad as fuck.

She promised to stay safe.

"The fuck are you doing?" MinJae screeched, eyes flaring but they weren't too mad, mostly concern. "You walked right out onto the road! If Liv hadn't seen you..." She exhaled as he inspected her, circling her for injuries. He wasn't in the best moods. Had he been at the studio? She couldn't remember, her head was a mess. Or was he in a good mood only to be ruined by her stupidity? That could fuck him up sometimes.

"You've got to look at the road! Please, please look at the road," Oliver groaned, running a hand over his temples as his hands shook. He was madder than expected, definitely was the one driving this time. She took a step back, heart still pounding, guts still swirling. Body still rejecting. "Sunshine, you're going to kill me."

Kill him. How funny since...he was the one who tossed her those glasses in the first—She drove a mental stop against that line of thought, cursing at her twisted behaviour. What was wrong with her? What was wrong with Casper's family? And why the fuck was this happening to her?

"Amber, are you okay?"

Her body bounced lightly against a taller, muscular figure as she took a step back. And her eyes drifted up to the concerned face of her soulmate. Casper peered down at her, holding her wrist. It helped a little, his touch was warm and gooey sweet. Her heart relaxed just a tad, enough for her to notice things.