spook two ;; ☾

————— ☾ ⋆⁺₊⋆ ☁︎

————— ☾ ⋆⁺₊⋆ ☁︎

hanako san told you he'd been wanting a human assistant. it had been one week, and you'd been cleaning toilets every single day.

you couldn't really complain. he was fun to talk with, when you were feeling chatty, and the mirrors no longer broke when you touched them- well, not too often.

"i have a really important job for you when you're done with this bathroom, little misfortune." hanako san said, floating around you as you cleaned. "but, i'm surprised you're not complaining. i thought once your bad luck lessened, you'd want to hang out with your friends."

you stopped in your tracks, biting the inside of your cheek.

"l/n?"

"i... i'm too embarrassed." you admitted. "i shut myself off from them, remember? i told them we shouldn't be friends anymore and haven't spoken with them since. i'm... not sure if they'd want to be seen with me again."

you continued mopping the floor, a visible bit of agitation in your actions, and hanako san watched you with a worried expression.

"they're probably worried about you." he finally said, eyes soft. "i would be, if one of my best friends cut me off all of a sudden."

"what if that 'best friend' was the reason you got rejected by your crush? or was the reason some of your precious flowers you'd been growing for the class died?" you shook your head, stubbornness evident in your surprisingly wobbly tone. "it's... it's really better this way. if my bad luck gets back to the way it used to be, or worse, then it's better i'd have cut them off early."

"...maybe you should just try talking to them." hanako san was being uncharacteristically comforting. it made you feel weird, for some reason. though you did hate being pitied- maybe that was it.

"i can't." you said, putting the mop in its bucket. "i'm done."

"hmm..." the ghost wandered around the bathroom. "you missed a spot."

"where?!"

he pointed to the window. a layer of grime was at the very top. you sighed.

"sorry, didn't see it." you started to climb up onto the ledge, and then stopped. "do you have a, uh. step ladder?"

"no. face your fears, misfortune! get up on that ledge and show that dirt what you got!"

"stop calling me that!" you hissed over your shoulder, pulling yourself up and scrubbing the dirt furiously. you threw the cloth at him as you realized this was a perfect opportunity for this awful ghost self to look up your skirt. "and don't look-! oh. i'm high off the ground."

"only by a couple feet. see? you faced your fears with spite!" he gave you a closed eye smile, shaking his fist in the air in celebration. "now onto the next bathroom!"