spook sixty nine ;; ☾

a/n : short chapter but it's okay we have a narrative switch next one 🫡🫡

not proofread i'm sleepy but haha sixty nine funny number

————— ☾ ⋆⁺₊⋆ ☁︎

————— ☾ ⋆⁺₊⋆☁︎

you blinked and, with a start, realized you and hanako weren't dangling precariously over the edge of a cliff anymore. the school mystery clung to you, face buried in your shoulder almost subconsciously. you placed your hand on the soft grass beside you, before pushing yourself to your feet.

"...whatever sumire did worked." you murmured, looking up at the sky. hanako unwound himself from you, peering around the clearing you suddenly found yourselves in with caution.

"this is the same place as before." he observed, narrowing his eyes. he turned back to you, gaze softening. "are you alright?"

"well... all my limbs are still attached, and i'm not wed to 'some nobody.'" you snickered softly to yourself. hanako opened his mouth to say something, his cheeks reddening, but was cut off by the soft sigh of a woman.

you whipped your head around to see sumire, sitting atop one of the stone statues at the edge of the clearing. she smiled bitterly, dipping her head towards the two of you apologetically.

"i'm sorry for startling you." noticing the concerned glance you and hanako exchanged, she added, "don't worry. this world was only rewound back to the beginning, you see."

"what are you planning?" hanako immediately snapped, stepping forward and drawing his knife. "catching me off guard and taking y/n." the boy scowled, pointing the blade at sumire. "what kind of orders did no. 6 give you?"

sumire seemed a bit surprised at the mention of the sixth school wonder, but she lifted her shoulders in a halfhearted shrug.

"this is a prison of time prepared for my sake. every time i die, this world's time is turned back- ever since i awakened, i have always been here, reliving the same day and death." sumire dug her fingernails into the stone beneath her, drawing in a slow breath as though soothing herself as she started to speak about no. 6. "please don't ask me what his motives are. ever since the day i lost my life, i haven't seen him. not once."

sumire paused, glancing behind her at the glowing moon and sighing once more.

"i... thought that he'd definitely come to meet me again. i thought perhaps that distant blockhead had actually cared for me- and that just maybe... he regrets letting me die." the dark haired woman's voice was wobbly at first before she raised her head with a smile. "a-after all, the thing they care for most to is chosen as their yorishiro, isn't it?"