JIMIN (38)

"Sir, Mr. Kwon has agreed for a settlement with our client. You did it again Sir." the Junior assistant lawyer barged in and informed, as if wanting some brownie points just to deliver the news.

We were in Jin hyung's office. I spent most of my office hours here.

"That's what I thought." Jin hyung said without looking up from his documents he was scanning. This man just knew it the moment he offered Mr. Kwon the deal. He's not renowned for anything.

She was about to leave when she noticed me behind the piles of folders at the coffee table. "Don't you have a cubicle?" She asked in a tone which reminded me of some mean high school girl.

"Don't you have a life?" I counter backed. This made Jin hyung cover his mouth with one hand and the index of the other in the air. No one entertains him like me.

"Ex… Excuse me? I'm a lawyer. And who are you?" She asked knowing exactly a mere assistant like me couldn't be one of them.

Jin hyung saw me with a worried expression, which soon turned to an angry one. He was about to say something which might lead to some shitty office politics. I couldn't let his image being ruined because of someone like me.

"I know my place Ms. Lee and I think you know it better than me without our assistance you would still be stuck in your last week's work." I said calmly.

The woman was fuming now. Before she could say something else hyung broke out.

"That's enough drama for the morning. Ms. Lee you may leave, I'm sure you have a lot to work to attend. And one more thing…" Jin hyung stood up from his chair now.

He walked towards his ceiling to floor glass screen behind him, watching the magnificent view of the city.

"The guy whom I assume you were looking down at, pulled an all nighter three days straight to come up with the conditions Mr. Kwon couldn't even imagine to reject, getting our client most of the benifits. We did it together Ms. Lee." Jin hyung finished staring at the beautiful sky now.

I could still see the proud smile he had while saying so. But it vanished soon when turned to her.

"You should work on your team work Ms. Lee. Thank you." He said raising his hand in the direction of the door.

She felt a bit ashamed of her words and left immediately with a little bow. I wasn't mad at her for this. People often tend to judge you when you have much limited options.

"Jimin ah. Don't mind her. Others might not see it but your hyung knows your worth." He said with sincerity in his voice and faith in his eyes.

That's the first time he let his sentiments get over him. For me.

"Hyu… Sir." I slapped myself to which he chuckled.

"Sir there's something I wanted you to know. And I need you to have my back like you always have been." I said taking a deep breath.

"Jimin ssi. That's so unlike you. Of course I'll be with you. Go ahead." He joked.

I took out two white envelopes from my jacket and handed him one of these to him respectfully.

He read what was written on the front and his smile disappeared.

"Jimin you can't… What happened? Did those jerks get to you? All of a sudden. I can't accept this." Jin hyung said like a kid not believing what I gave him.

"Sir no, no one forced me to. It was all me. I love working here, with you. Learning from you. It was one of the greatest experience for me. But I didn't dream of being an assistant forever Sir. I think I can do more. Something greater is waiting for me." I said with a soft smile although my heart was breaking looking at hyung like this.