M • Cole

Muscular

Because he has gains like the hulk

i only wrote this so i didn't have to edit sixth sense
nya and cole as besties>>>>

Warning(s): talks about body images and social media, mature language and not an xreader

Muscular•Because he has gains like the hulk•i only wrote this so i didn't have to edit sixth sense nya and cole as besties>>>>•Warning(s): talks about body images and social media, mature language and not an xreader•

Cole was fit.

His big muscles were something he worked hard for. It wasn't really a goal he had. It just grew overtime and he slowly realized the stares he was getting. Some people would stop and stare at his arms but since he grew with them, during his puberty, he didn't notice the difference. It wasn't until he visited his dad during a day off and he was shown one of the only photos of himself when he was eleven.

Cole was a skinny man.

All he did was climb mountains as a coping mechanism after his mother passed away. No biggie. Didn't everyone do that? When he would start getting depressed again, he hauled himself out of bed and would climb a mountain. He loved the feeling of wind through his hair and the pain that would blossom on his hands and feet. It distracted him from the pain in his mind whenever he replayed his mom's final moments. Shortly, he was recruited by Wu and being on the team, finding people who didn't have parents or loud ones, made him feel like he belonged. His muscles would only continue to grow. His teammates all had strength as well, which would normalize his physique even more.

When they became celebrities, the comments and screams about his body made him more aware of how he looked. One day he was looking at himself in the mirror without a shirt, not to admire, to see the craziness or sexiness that they saw.
He was comfortable in his body for years no matter how he looked like. In fact, he barely thought about it. But after crazy fans -he still has crazy fans- and becoming a ghost, he focused on it a bit. He still got comments like what his workout routine was which only consisted off kicking some bad guy ass and whatever Wu's mood was that day.
They even asked about his diet.
Now, how was he supposed to tell people that it consisted of cake and Zane's cooking?
He didn't care about the food. When he decided his "body was a temple" and all that shit, he hated it.

He quit that and ate everything he could get his hands on.

Nya was walking down the hall until she saw Cole look at himself in the mirror through his cracked open door. She raised a brow and knocked on the door. He muttered permission for whomever it was to come in and she let herself in and closed the door.

"You okay, Cole?" She questioned, walking to his bed with her elbows on her knees. He nodded, still squinting and trying different poses. "You sure? How come you've been staring at yourself?"

"I-" He started but didn't know what words to say. He took a deep breath and got his tee from his desk chair, putting it on because it was no use. He let out an exasperated sigh, sitting beside his teammate. "I don't know," he sheepishly admitted, running his hand through his jet black hair, "I always get weird comments about my body and physique. I never paid much attention to it until now."

Nya let his words settle in her head and multiple thoughts race through her head but she didn't want to jump to conclusions. "Do you care what people think about your body?"

He looked at her, letting out his bottom lip and shaking his head. "No, it's not really what they think. Well...maybe. Ugh," he let out an annoyed groan. He pushed his palms into the sockets of his eyes, hoping that it would help him think straight. Honestly, he was just confused.
"I don't fucking know. Because I never paid much attention to my body or anything and the second we get fans or whatever, all I get are comments about how I look! Just because I have bigger muscles, I get called 'daddy' or weird thirst comments." He shuddered when he remembered the comments he was scrolling through that morning.

The water ninja was familiar with all of that. Being the only person on the team with boobs got her a lot of similar comments. On top of that she would get comments about how she was editing her pictures or comments about insecure girls saying they felt bad in their skin just because someone felt comfortable in theirs. Which was pressuring because everyone is about body positivity but the second someone who is body positive shares a picture, it was filled with negativity. Especially if they look like the "beauty standard".

What makes the entire situation worse is that Cole is only twenty-one and Nya is nineteen. This has been going on since they were even younger.

Objectifying young people —or people in general— was gross and wrong.

After a moment, the female ninja starts to speak. "Yeah, I get that," she agreed wholeheartedly in a small nod.
"The weird comments part. But Kai was telling me the same thing just a week ago. Instead of his body they talk about his face. Saying how hot he was, how he's a looker, etcetera. That made him look at himself in the mirror differently every morning. The difference between the two of you is that he cares what people say about him. Yesterday, he asked me if he should grow sideburns because of a comment on his post with ten thousand likes."

"Oh," Cole let out. "I wouldn't think-"

"That my brother cares?" She finished his sentence. He nods in confirmation that, that was the end of his sentence. "Yeah, surprised me too. I'll tell you what I told him, you're okay just the way you are. You're muscular! I have breasts! Jay has freckles! Kai is good looking! Zane's a nindroid! Lloyd has bright green eyes! So what? We all have different features and just 'cause people point them out doesn't make us weird," she ranted with a full chest and felt relived to say all of that.

It was tiring for people to always point out the obvious and make it weird. It made the ninja feel weird. Jay got slightly insecure about his freckles and Nya caught him using her concealer to cover them up. Ps. they aren't even the same shade. Lloyd wore brown contacts, Zane didn't care and still showed his titanium self. Nya didn't care either and still wore whatever the fuck she wanted.

The black ninja chuckled, "that's some cheesy shit." Nya punched his arm. "Hey! I get it, you're right!"

"Damn right I am." She then through her arms around his neck and engulfed him in a hug that he reciprocated. "We all love you. Not for your body, but for you as a person. Remember that."

In that moment the door flung open and revealed a Jay who was only to call Cole to test an experiment and found him hugging his girlfriend.

The lightning ninja gasped, "group hug!" In a flash he wrapped his arms around them both.

"Did someone say group hug?" Kai said down the hall.

"Oh shit," Cole muttered. Very quickly the rest of the team came to hug in a massive group hug.

Cole realized that his body is fine. No matter if people stared or not.

He had his friends and that is what mattered.