N • Dipper

Neighbours

Because that's all he's ever going to be to you

a little bit of sad imagines for y'all :)
oh sorry i meant the sad face :(

Neighbours•Because that's all he's ever going to be to you•a little bit of sad imagines for y'all :)oh sorry i meant the sad face :(•

He puffed his chest as he gathered the courage he needed. Today was the day. Usually he would chicken out telling his crush how he felt about them but he was a new man.

Weirdly, when he asked Mabel for her opinion she acted weird about it. Usually she's big on love and matching two people together but when it came to her twin and a girl their age (that Mabel is best friends with), she was hesitant. Nonetheless, she urged him to tell her his feelings. It was no good if it was kept inside. All bottled up and wasted. It needed to be shared, to be cherished. That was how you unite people after all.

He had his note in one hand and his other hand had his fingers curled in, ready to knock the door. He rehearsed this. Over and over again. But the lack of confidence he had made him second guess himself. He took in a deep breathe but he was still shaking. He saw his hand visibly move rapidly and the sweat beginning to bead down his forehead.

He closed his eyes shut, ready to run away until the door opened.

"Uh," Y/n started with her eyes darting everywhere, "I saw you waiting from my window ten minutes ago. I came back to check if you were still there and you are. You okay?" She asked innocently and she was naïve as to what was going to come. She never really noticed any of Dipper's advances towards her. To be fair, he was quite nervous to even try to make a move. The twin slightly freaked out and his big brain filled with knowledge was currently empty with no words to say. His throat felt like it swell up and he only squeaked.

It was only a moment later that he found his voice. She stared at him with wide eyes and a slightly raised brow. Her question still wasn't answered and it didn't help that more questions popped up in her head. He gulped down his worries and raised the paper that was in his hand. He shook his hand so much that he couldn't read what it said. "Uh-....agh! I...I mean-" He said but no words were formulated, let alone sentences.

"Dipper. Whatever you say now won't make me change how I look at you. We're neighbours, there's not much you can say that'll make me hate you. So whatever-"

"I like you!" He blurted out with his eyes closed shut and his hands in fists. The letter crumbled in his hand but it couldn't compare to how his chest clenched in worry and stress of how he was going to take his confession. His voice came in and out as he tried to calm himself down. "I've liked you more than friends for the entire summer. I just...I just thought you should know."

Y/n was dumbfounded and now she was the one who had no words to say. She saw how much bravery it took for him to admit his feelings

...but she didn't like him in that sense.

They were friends. She helped him with mysteries and adventures. Y/n believed that he viewed her the same way. Her heart ached in guilt for the words she wanted to mutter. She bit her lower lip as hard as she could but the pain didn't match her emotions. It wasn't enough to distract her.

The boy looked more disappointed then he ever was in his life. He was holding on by a thread of hope that Y/n liked him back and he was in denial that she didn't reciprocate feelings. He was just so much delusion; in his head, he wholeheartedly believed that she liked him. He ignored Mabel's warnings of not confessing or else he would get his heart slightly broken, but he just wanted to hear the words "I like you, too".

But he didn't.

What he heard was this instead.

"I'm sorry, Dipper," she started with a heavy weight on her shoulders, "I like you as a friend."

There was a deafening silence between them. All that was heard was the sun rays (or the bug thingies?), the trees rustling against each other due to the wind, and the tension that was between them. A beat passed before Dipper found his voice. He put his head down and focused on the floorboard of the patio. Looking for details that would help him cry less. "Oh."

The girl lifted a hand to place on his shoulder but he moved away. Y/n, hurt, but understood that it was too soon. "I'll see you tomorrow?" She asked sheepishly, her face scrunched in a bit of hope. He shrugged as one tear fell. He turned around quickly and ran away. The early teen didn't have the heart to call his name and let him go.

She headed back inside, closed the door, rested her head on it, and sighed.

Hopefully the rest of summer can go alright.

Maybe.