1| New start?

"We like your daughter, if you all are ready we can finalise the dates

"We like your daughter, if you all are ready we can finalise the dates."

My heart thumped in my chest hearing the words of the woman who brought her son's alliance for me, I can't believe we reached here, is it finally happening?

I looked up from my lashes when I felt a hand squeezing mine, my bhabhi gave a warm smile and I returned an unsure one to her, she always had that smile that lights up the room, and always knew how to cheer me up or understand me, after so many years she knows me so well and that's why she is my favourite.

"That would be great." Mom smiled at her.

I looked at my dad and my brother who were seated next to each other, both bearing an evident shared look, which was too common from the past four years, worry, fear, fear of rejection for me.

Baba cleared his throat leaning forward, "That is really nice to hear sister, but I think there is one thing you should hear from us."

The woman and her husband, Mrs and Mr. Effendi looked at my baba confused but nodded, encouraging him to say further,

Farhan bhai sat up straight, his shoulders tense, "The thing is Mrs. Effendi that my sister had two prior engagements broken, well it should not but I hope it doesn't bother you. It is better to hear from us than anyone else."

Fumbling with the ends of my dupatta, I felt my heart thump loudly in my ears, this was the part where everyone drop their ideas and leave.

"Oh no it's alright it was just engagements nothing serious, don't worry it-" Mr. Effendi was cut off by his wife,

"If you don't mind me asking Mrs. siddque what was the reason behind your daughters broken engagement...I mean engagements?"

I swallowed down the gravel in my throat looking down on my lap, Again. The same question.

Before mom could say anything bhabhi spoke up, "Asking a mother behind the reason for her daughter's prior engagements is obviously painful mrs. Effendi, I think you should reframe that question."

Mrs. Effendi was as if someone comically slapped her, before she could say anything her husband beat to it, "I apologise, I am sure she didn't meant that, you don't have to explain Mrs. Siddque."

Another lady who sat there quietly all the time, who I assume was Mrs. Effendi's sister, perked up, "Before coming here, I heard from somewhere that your daughter was, if I am not wrong....divorced? Surely I might've heard wrong, it was just engagements after all."

I gritted my teeth, I wanted nothing more than to grab the nearest object and hit her head with it.

"You should have confirmed that from you where heard." Bhai gritted out glaring at the three of them.

Baba frantically looked at mama and she gave him an reluctant nod, "Actually Mrs. Effendi that is true, but—"

"True? What do you mean by that? Your daughter is a divorcee and you are covering it up by telling broken engagements?" Mrs. Effendi lashes out.