30| Family reunion

"Thank you for the soup, Irhaa

"Thank you for the soup, Irhaa." I say leaning against the door frame, watching the couple standing at the porch steps, all ready to leave.

Irhaa smiles, "It was nothing, if you need anything, just call."

"Me." Hasnain grunts.

I roll my eyes, "Of course, caveman."

Hearing the news of my accident, Hasnain brought Irhaa the next day of my discharge to meet me, and that ever so kind lady brought me so much food that I could stock it up for the next week.

Irhaa grabs her husband's elbow, "Take care, we will be leaving now."

Hasnain gives me a nod and walks down the porch steps to his car.

I close the door behind me and make a beeline to the kitchen, Irhaa brought me warm food but I take out the container from the fridge and heat it,

Irhaa makes good food, no doubt. But something about the soup which my neighbours had given me hits different.

I hate the look she had in her eyes when she saw I left the soup half eaten, but what she doesn't know is that I have been eating that soup continuously from last night till now and finished it.

I finish the rest of the soup in the container and wash my hands—hand I mean.

Hearing the doorbell, I walk towards it and open the door.

Surprise greets me, seeing Minahil standing in front of the door with a basket and a large foil packet tucked under her arm.

I look down at the basket, a flash of ginger peaking from inside.

She clears her throat, and motions at the basket, "I came to drop Jerry off."

I grab the pet basket from her, "Thank you."

Seeing my trouble with handling things with only one good arm, she offers, "I will help keep these inside."

She steps ahead to enter inside but I block her way, "Does anyone in your house knows you are here?"

Her eyes dims by my words, "I told bhai about it." She picks up the skin around her nails, "I-I'll just keep Jerry's things here." She places the food bag in front of the door.

She turns around to step down the porch steps, closing my eyes, I call her name, "Miss Minahil."

She looks at me over her shoulder, her eyes still dim, no traces of her ever present smile on her lips.

I move aside, gesturing her to get in, gulping she grabs Jerry's food bag and enters inside behind me.

I open the basket, letting him climb out, Jerry stretches and totters off in the house.

"Where should I keep this?" She holds the food bag in two hands.

Everything inside me protested to take that heavy thing from her, seeing how she struggled under the five kilo's of weight.