14| I do

They say there is a moment in one's life, when a person realises their life is going to change forever

They say there is a moment in one's life, when a person realises their life is going to change forever. For good or for bad? You never know.

But the change still scares us.

You know that moment, when you have to take a step, knowing you will never be the same person.

Change is scary, very scary.

It never scared me. Not when I was brought to an unknown country and left alone. Not when I had to leave Hajra baji to live with my father.

But it is terrifying me now as I take the pen from Farhan lala's hand and sign on the papers in front of me.

One sign.

That's all it took for my entire life to change.

"Congratulations." Hajra baji whispers beside me and kisses my cheek as everyone around us make a dua for the bride and the groom.

The bride, me.

The groom, him.

And us..?

That thought alone was enough for my stomach to jump.

I am feeling weird things now.

Soon the room got vacant as all the men went to the other room to take signature from him.

I felt the couch dip beside me, a warm hand closes around my cold ones. "Congratulations, Irhaa." Ayesha baji says giving me a hug from behind.

I felt someone sit beside me, "I am so happy for you."

I look from under my veil and give a watery smile to Minahil, the girl who saved me in college. I wasn't aware she is Farhan lala's sister.

"Thank you." I whisper.

There were just five females present here including me. Ayesha baji, Hajra baji, Minahil and her mother. No one from my side or his side.

Cause they are actually no one.

I had totally forgotten my mother, when I was ten I vaguely remembered her voice, but now everything is blurry. I don't even remember her face. My aunt said my mother passed away when I was three. Growing up in her house, I never knew what a mother is. What I've read in books, a mother is someone who gives you comfort, support and unconditional love. There is no world without your mother.

But I grew up in a world without her, I never knew the feelings attach to a mother. But at this moment, at the most important day of my life, I feel the need of that comfort, a comfort which I never experienced, but I am craving it now.

The closest motherly experience I had was from Hajra baji, she is here for me today too. But I want that feeling of having an actual mother.

Ringing of phone snaps me out of my thoughts. Ayesha baji picks up her phone and places it on centre table in front of me before keeping it on speaker.