12| Fight for right

I stare at the screen in front of me in disbelief

My sister Asra and my mom stared back at me, their expressions determined.

"What—" I lick my lips, "What did you just say Amma?"

"That you are not marrying that girl!" Asra says, "Amma and me would never accept her."

Anger flares in me, "First, shut up Asra. I am talking to Amma, do not talk in between."

Asra gasps and looks at our mother in disbelief, "Are you seeing this Amma? She isn't even here and bhai has changed, imagine what it would be after marriage! Why aren't you stopping this?"

"Stop manipulating Amma!" Nilo's raged voice fills the speaker. "You just want what you want Asra! Let Amma speak!"

"Voice down Nilo!" Amma scolds her, "You are talking to your elder sister."

"And she is talking to our elder brother! Tell her to stop mingling with bhai's life and let him marry whoever he wants!" Nilo appears on screen and stands beside our mother.

"How dare you raise your voice on Amma!" Asra stands up from the chair, "You spoiled brat!" And then she slaps Nilo.

"Asra!" I scold her, "She did not raised her voice! Why did you hit her?"

"Couldn't you see what she is doing? She is younger, I am the elder sister, I have right to slap her when she utters non sense." Asra says angrily.

I barely control my own.

"And I am your elder brother! You could dictate when I die!"

Amma and Nilo gasps, Asra takes a step back from my tone.

I take a deep breath, "Asra, apologise to Nilo and leave the room."

"But-"

"Now."

She does not apologise to Nilo but stomps out of the room.

"Nilo." I call her out, noticing finger marks on her face, "This is an important matter, do not talk in between until required. Bring baba from his room."

She nods wordlessly and walks away holding her face in her hand.

Now my mother stares me through the screen.

I take a deep breath, "Amma. You need to stop Asra. Please start saying No to her. She will be destroyed like this. And stop treating Nilo like a slave, she is your daughter too!"

My mother scoffs. "You are telling me how to treat my children? Just because you lived few abroad doesn't mean you have to forget your culture and values."

My fingers curl into fists under the table.

Calm down.

It's a sin to talk aloud to your mother.