40| Table for two or three?

"You cannot be serious!" I bang my hand on the table, rattling the glassware kept on it

Ahad pauses eating his breakfast, one tiny hand wrapped around the spoon with Avocado and apple purée in it.

"Sewois." He mumbles and then looks at his father, pointing his spoon at him, making the purée hit on his shirt sleeve.

"Ahad! Don't play with your food." Bhabhi scolds passing bhai a tissue paper.

Bhai wipes his shirt sleeve and sighs, "I read it's a phase." He mutters and then looks at me, "And to answer your question, I am pretty much serious."

"But why?" I sputter in disbelief. "I am on a break, remember?"

He nods, "I do remember, Mina. And trust me I on my right mind would never allow you to meet a stranger alone."

"Then what changed?" I ask folding my arms up.

Bhai looks at bhabhi, who gives him a panic glance before giving me a smile, "Look Mina, just meet him..."

"You too?" I cry out, "Mama?"

She looks at bhai, "Farhan what's the rush? If Mina doesn't wants to meet him then why are you forcing?"

"I am not forcing mama. I am insisting. Look, I have known Zayed for a while, and he is a very nice man, plus he has an amazing family background. What I am trying to say is that Mina meets him, talk to him, see if he is compatible and then we could talk further. If Mina doesn't wants it, then I won't proceed."

Mama looks at baba for help, who shrugs, "I with Farhan on this, Zayed's father has approached me to talk about Zayed and Mina, I told him about Mina's past and they had no objection. Think, Ayeeza, we get rare alliance like this."

"Doesn't mean we have to tie Mina to anyone who has no objection from her past." Mama defends.

"You are right mama." Bhabhi agrees, "But that doesn't mean we have to overlook this alliance, I mean you never know what future holds for you."

She and my brother share a meaningful look.

Bleagh.

"Just meet him Minu, look your overprotective brother approves him, and even I do, he is a nice boy." Baba says softly. "Just for us, meet him, see how it goes and we will do what you decide."

I look at mama helplessly. She gives me an apologetic glance.

The day I never thought have arrived, my brother has set up a date with one of his business associate who is a 'nice guy' who fit in all the parameters of bhai's view of my ideal husband.

Little does he knows my ideal husband is just next door.

I slump down in my seat defeatedly, "Fine. But just one hour. After that I would leave."