6| Old friends meet up

"Page 108, solve all the problems, it's your home work and also for your test tomorrow

"Page 108, solve all the problems, it's your home work and also for your test tomorrow."

I shot a glare at the class hearing a series of groans.

I stand by my statement of respecting STEM students more than these law ones.

Unknowingly my eyes flit back to the girl seated on the first bench, her concentration on her notebook as she kept writing something on it.

Removing my glasses, I open the attendance register and call out the roll numbers.

"Roll number twenty nine." I call, hearing no response, I was about to mark as absent when I hear a timid voice saying,

"P-present sir." I look up from the register, knowing that timid voice, and when I did, her eyes widened and the pen fell from her grip, rolling down from the bench to the floor near her foot.

It didn't took me long enough to understand that she recognised me. I hoped she did.

Prying my eyes away from her, I call out the remaining roll numbers and complete taking the attendance.

Deliberately, I closed the cap of my pen slowly than necessary, the whole class disperse away, slowly filing out the classroom, few students lingered in, and I hoped she would too.

The last group of students walk out as I close my reference book, slower than a snail on morphine.

I waited for her.

A while later, I heard hesitant footsteps approaching my desk.

I look up to find her, standing at a distance, her fingers toying with the strap of her bag.

"Can I help you?" I ask, testing the waters.

From the corner of my eye, I could see her fidgeting with her hands, something she had always done.

"Um.." she begins,

A smile fight to rise up on my face before I composed myself.

"Yes?" I urged.

"I-I," she clears her throat, "I want to know the name of the textbook you refer, sir."

A bucket of ice cold water fall on my expectations. I look up at her, somehow wishing she could hear my internal voice.

Do you remember me?

"Sure." I state blankly, I tell her the name and she scribbles it down on her binder.

She closes the binder and steps back from the desk, "T-thank you."

That's it?

"Anything else?" I ask in hopes of...of what? I have no idea.

She looks at me and shakes her head, "N-no."

My jaw sets tight and I wear back my glasses, "You may leave then."