20| Baby steps

"How was your date?" I ask Yousuf, who was seated on a leather chair opposite to me

He closes the pen cap and slams it on the stack of papers kept in front of him on the table.

"Since when are you interested in other's business?"

I smirk, "Others? I only find miserable interesting."

He raises an eyebrow, "So you are trying to say I am miserable?"

"Are you not?"

That makes him silent.

"I could ask you the same." He counters back.

"About what?"

He smirks, "Heard about a guy who was pushed by a stranger in the mud during the camp, Hmm seems suspicious to me."

I shrug, "Nothing just an incident."

"Incident, huh?"

I pick up a book mark and throw it on his face, he laughs as it sticks on his forehead.

"Are we witnessing Hasnain's caveman era?" He laughs like a baboon he is.

"Are we witnessing Yousuf's misfortune era?" I mimic his tone.

He chuckles, "You need to learn better comebacks."

I roll my eyes and spin the marble paperweight kept on the table.

It's Monday and surprisingly I got no classes today, The law students are on a one day break from their camp trip, the STEM students are busy preparing for a science fair and it leaves me to zero classes, and no work.

So I decided to pay my friend a visit to keep him company in the campus clinic. And he of course had known about the incident from the camp.

In my defence, he shouldn't have stepped or even breathed near her, he choose his miserable fall, it could've been worst, but I had an image to keep. He got lucky that day.

"Seriously, did you pushed him?" Yousuf asks again, "When Mr. Ramazan told me about it this morning, I knew it had to be you to do it."

I lean back on my chair, "So what if I did, he deserved it."

Yousuf's eyes twinkle with mischief, "Why did he troubled your..." he leans closer and whispers, "Wife?"

"Yes." I stare simply.

Yousuf nods, "Fair enough."

"And you?" I ask, "You don't particularly seem happy about your date.." I lean closer just like he did, "With your wife."

"Ha ha." He laughs dryly, "Aren't you a joker?" He rolls his eyes, "How do you even know, I went on a date?"

"Your Whatsapp status said about it."