5| Home is where the heart is

The wind caressed my face, as I step out of the Istanbul sabiha airport

I stay still on my spot, letting the winds of Istanbul wisp through my hair, to my senses, making nostalgia hit me like tons.

The winds of this city never changes. It still gives you the beauty, the thrill of this city, the faint scent of the delicious bakeries to the unmistakable smell of the salty seas.

This is the city I grew up to love. Nothing in Birmingham could be compared to this.

I take a deep breath, before pushing forward my luggage trolley towards the awaiting driver with my name on a paper held in his hands.

I give him a wave, "That would be me, sir."

My assigned driver immediately smiles, the skin in the corner of his eyes crinkling. "Hoş geldeniz yousuf bey." [Welcome Mr. Yousuf.]

It took me a while to understand that he basically welcomed me. "Oh um teşekkür ederim."

Now that I am here, I really need to brush up my turkish.

He gestures me to follow him, he offers to take the trolley from me but I refused him, I roll down the luggage trolley behind him to the parking lot.

Mr. Mehmet, my driver helps me load my two large suitcases in the boot of his car. When he reaches for the last one, he frowned seeing a flash of ginger.

I chuckle picking up the pet carrier and take down my beloved cat, Jerry out of it.

He immediately stretches out in my arms, obviously tired from sitting in a box for four hours straight in the flight from Birmingham to Istanbul.

Mr. Mehnat takes the carrier from me and places in the boot of the car before closing it.

I take a seat in the back seat and immediately take out cat treats from my bag pack and feed it to Jerry.

As Jerry finish eating his treats, I watch out of the window, watching the city of Istanbul roll out.

A smile grazes my lips as the familiar at the sight of yellow taxis, red rooftops of houses, and the sight of blue seas making a beautiful contrast to the large white clouds in the sky.

I roll down my window as the car passes through the Bosphorous bridge, the sight of the red flag of turkey, hosted up against the red rooftop houses and the wide sea below, boats sailing in the sea, slowly contrast to the fast moving cars on the bridge is a treat to see.

The people living here don't realise the beauty of this city we envy so much.

On the way to the hotel, the beautiful scenery of the city distracted me from the questionable emotion which I forced back in my mind. Shutting down every thoughts of a particular hazel eyed girl was the only form of focusing on my work.