34| Letter

Irhaa stares at me with dread evident in her eyes, she grips the kitchen cloth which she brought with her in a tight grip

I glare at the letter in front of me, as I grab her hand and make her sit on the couch.

"W-what is it about?" She whispers, "I-is it my baba? Did something..."

I grip her hand firmly, "It's not about him."

She visibly relaxes but tenses again, "Who then?"

I set the letter on the centre table, "It is send from police officials of prison."

She frowns, "Prisons? What that has to do with me?"

I grab both of her hands, "You are summoned to give evidence against the trial of Haseena Begum and Ameer Pasha."

Her grip which was tight in my hands go limp and the colour drains from her face. 

Her pupils dilate and her body sways, I move forward and grab her shoulders, shaking her, "Irhaa! Irhaa! Stay with me, Irhaa!"

I could see from the way her body had went slack, her breathing erratic, she was going in a silent panic attack.

"Hey Irhaa! Irhaa!" I grab her face and make her look in my eyes, "Look at me, look at me, look at your reflection in my eyes, it's only you. You are safe. You are free. You are safe, Irhaa! Come back to me."

She blinks rapidly, her lips quiver as she grabs my wrists, tears falling down her eyes.

"Shh! Shh! Relax, you are safe. You are safe."
I place her head on my chest and smooth down her hairs.

She grips my shirt and her shoulders shake violently, her sobs echo in the hall.

"It's okay, it's okay." I assure her kissing her head.

She fists my shirt in her hands and starts sobbing uncontrollably.

"I-I don't want to see them." She sobs.

"You won't." I assure, "You won't see them again."

She moves away, her hands moving around in a frantic motion, "What— what do they want from me? What if they want to take me? What if they take me back? I don't want to go back. I don't want to see them—"

I grab her face, "I am here with you, Irhaa. No one, I repeat, no one would near you under my watch. No would take you away from me. You are going to be with my side for the rest of our lives."

Her lips quiver, "P-promise?"

I nod, "Promise."

I wipe away the tears from her face, "Trust me I don't want them near you again too, but it's court's orders."

She wildly rubs her hands down her thighs, "Wh-what am I going to say?"

"You are going to say everything what they did to you. Every single torture, every single word. This is your chance of freedom, Irhaa. Trust me, if you take this flight, you will never fall. You will finally fly freely without the fear of someone pushing you down."