Chapter 39. Sweet Relief.

Warning: Long Chapter: 13k+

We're ending this with the longest chapter of all.

~No one's P.O.V~

"H-Hey, Gowther! Yo-You're not actually planning on fighting those guys, are you?" Jericho asked her partner, who she had been teamed up with.

She looked from the pink-haired male and over to their opponents. A shivering Escanor stood behind Y/n while his head was popped up right behind her shoulder to look at them. Y/n was left standing while she scratched her neck awkwardly.

"Of course." Gowther finally replied to the girl, staring at Y/n, "I'm going to win this festival, and acquire a heart." He explained with no feelings in his voice nor on his face, "So that way, even if you all end up dead, I might actually be able to grieve from the bottom of my heart."

Escanor whimpered from behind Y/n, "I-I'm sure he meant that to be touching... But it was actually pretty frightening!" He shook his head from side to side, "Don't you think, Miss Y/n?"

"Eh." Y/n let the hand scratching her neck fall to her side, "It's to be expected from Gowther. That's for sure!" She grinned, giggling a bit.

Jericho growled, forming her hand into a fist as she yelled at her partner, "Have you completely lost your mind?! Killing your friends just to get a heart is a complete contradiction! It doesn't make any sense!" She shouted from the top of her lungs, feeling anger starting to run through her body at Gowther's behavior.

"Jericho, to obtain a higher level of power, you tried to give up being a Human," Gowther responded without even bothering to turn towards her while he spoke.

He had no reason to anyway. Why should he? She was capable of hearing him as he was, "How is this any different?"

"Yeah, that's right." Jericho lowered her head at the mentioning of that. Memories of what happened, memories she had done everything to forget, they resurfaced. Every time they did, they were haunting her, an endless reminder of the mistakes she had made, "And because of that, I hurt Ban... As well as my own brother."

She threw her head back up, taking a step towards Gowther, "That's why you should listen to me! Whatever you do, Gowther, don't hurt your friends to get what you want!" She shouted, trying desperately to knock some sense into the man that stood in front of her, "In the end, you're only gonna hurt yourself."

"Jericho, you're holding a good speech and all, but that's not going to work with Gowther!" Y/n shouted over to the Apprentice Holy Knight with both sides of her mouth cupped with her hands.

As she did that, she did not even notice the shivering and whimpering mess behind her had left his spot of clinging onto her blue tunic.

Instead, Escanor was running as fast as his shaking legs could take him to the very edge of the arena. The opposite end of his opponents, of course.

Once there, the poor man let himself fall to his knees. He looked up the edge of the tall pillar and all the way down to the flying Fairy, Gloxinia, who stood beside the silent Giant, Drole.

"Um, excuse me!" He yelped, gaining the attention of the two Commandments, who looked up at him in return, "I only came here to deliver some alcohol for the Fighting Festival! I had no intention of participating!" He shouted down.

Drole remained silent and unmoving while Gloxinia hummed and placed his hands on his hips.

"Would you please allow me the opportunity of forfeiting this event?!" He continued to shout down. Y/n slumped over with a sigh, knowing very well that his request would be denied, "'Cause I consider my opponents to be really close friends! I could never stand in some arena and try to fight them to the death!"