Chapter 48. Just... Shut up.

~No one's P.O.V~

Y/n had headed back to the tavern. By now, it was bustling with people, lots of drunk ones.

Y/n came down from the second floor, where she had been to give the bed written Elaine a plate of food as well as a glass of water to make it easier to swallow. As Y/n blandly took the orders, Hawk trotted after her.

"So, where are the others right now?" The swine asked as Y/n poured ale into two mugs. She took her time, blocking out the drunk people in the tavern yelling at her to hurry up.

"Somewhere by the old castle ruins." Y/n replied, placing the two mugs on the board attached to Hawk's back so that he could deliver them to costumers. Y/n went out from behind the counter with him, carrying three plates of food.

"What are those dimwits doing now?" Hawk questioned as he trotted up to one of the tables, allowing the costumers there to take their drinks.

"Helping Gowther... Regaining his memories." Y/n muttered while place the food in front of the costumers that had made the awful decision to order it.

"WhAT?!" Hawk hammered into Y/n's leg, yelling at her, "Then what are you doing here?! You should be out there!"

"But... I don't want to be." Y/n muttered, ignoring the swine that continuously hammered and pulled at her leg, "It's not my place anymore."

"What's that supposed to mean?" Hawk stopped his mighty attacks on Y/n. She halted and looked down. She sighed through her nose, "Back then, Gowther was found in the dungeons beneath the castle by Bartra's elder sister, Nadja Liones." She explained, kneeling down behind the counter to find the right booze for the next order.

"Back then, I did travel a lot between cities and towns. That's how I found Gowther in the castle, dressed as a maid to remain by Nadja's side." She took bottles out from the cabinets, looking at the labels on them. She hummed, thinking back to Ban's old book of labels, and then she placed it back, looking at another.

"Dressed as a maid, Gowther enjoyed his time with Nadja, and she enjoyed it as well." She explained, thumb running over the label of the right bottle, "Over time, that admiration they had toward one another turned to love... But Nadja was sick."

Hawk watched Y/n pour the booze into one mug, then another, "What happened to her?"

"One day, she was so weak, she could not get out of bed," She gulped down the ale from one of the mugs, "After confessing her love for Gowther, she lost the battle to her sickness, and died with him by her side."

She placed the empty cup back on the counter, and then proceeded to take the other one. She looked at the foam at the top, "In an attempt to save her, he tried to implant his artifictial heart in her chest. It did not work." She placed the mug on Hawk's back, "When the guards found him, he was accused of forcing Nadja into sexual acts, which was the cause of her death. That got him sentenced as the Sin of Lust."

Hawk went out with the servings while Y/n remained by the counter, cleaning it, "Then how come he doesn't remember?"

"Shortly after he got sentenced, Gowther did not want to go on living with the pain of losing one he loved so dearly, and erased his own memory so that he could live life as a simple doll that never had to feel any pain."

Y/n looked down. She could not save him back then, so what right did she have to come and save him now? Besides, with the upcoming war, they should not have any more reason to rely on her. It would only complicate things further and the plan was already sown thin.

"AND EXACTLY WHAT DOES THIS HAVE TO DO WITH YOU NOT HELP?! LAZY BASTAAAAARD!!" Hawk came charging with his Rolling Ham Attack.

"Hawk, would you do me a favor?" Y/n's hair shadowed her face. Her voice just loud enough for the swine to hear, "Please keep them from doing something stupid... For when I am not here anymore."