Chapter 4 Start of the Trial

After Ash and Serena leave the Galaxy Hall, they walk towards the gate as they see Akari talking to a blonde-haired man that shocks Ash. The person has a resemblance with Cynthia, his aunt from his father's side, which means the person in front of him must be his ancestor.

"Oh? What a curious getup you have there, I can already tell you're quite the character!" The man says.

"Um...who are you?" Serena asks.

"I'm Volo of the Ginkgo Guild, the go-to choice for any of your mercantile needs here in Hisui!" Volo says. "I've heard talk about you two. Feel from the sky, didn't you? Now that's certainly a tale I'd like to hear..."

"He acts just like aunt Cynthia..." Ash thinks.

"Oh, and you've a Pokemon! You're certainly full of interesting surprises..." Volo says after seeing the Pokeballs. "Investigating the odd and novel is key to any good merchant's success! So what do you say? How about one of you and I see how our Pokemon stand up to one another in battle?"

"I guess that's fine for me." Ash says, "Serena?"

"Sure, I'll leave the battle for you." Serena nods.

"I like you two better and better! What a delightful find! I've also heard about this trial you're to attempt. Let's have a quick battle to get your blood pumping before you head out!"

He sends out a Togepi, and Ash is surprised. "A Togepi...that sure is unusual."

Serena says, "Sounds like you have a hard time with this Pokemon..."

"Pikachu though, he refuses to battle Togepi because of some specific reasons." Ash says in a bitter tone in the end, and Serena knows what he means. "Rowlet, use Gust!"

Rowlet spreads his wings as it creates winds to deal some damage to Togepi, and then he continues to use it while Togepi goes with Tackle, in the end, Togepi is defeated as the battle ends.

"It's always good fun to have your Pokemon do battle, don't you think?" Volo smiles after recalling his Pokemon.

"Yeah. I know." Ash says after recalling Rowlet.

"But so few people here have their own Pokemon. If only more knew how to use Poke Balls!" Volo sighs. "At any rate, let me help our two battlers recover from their little exercise."

He takes Rowlet's Pokeball and heals the Pokemon by using Potions and other things. "And to you, my sky-fallen friends...I present some Potions in thanks!"

They receive five Potions as they put into their satchels. "I'll be hoping that you're successful on that trial of yours!"

After he leaves, Akari turns to Ash and Serena. "That's really something! Not only can you catch Pokemon-you can lead them in battle!"

"Well, we do that a lot in the future after all." Serena shrugs.

"Now, to the Obsidian Fieldlands!" Akari cheers. "When you're leaving Jubilife Village, make sure you choose a destination from your map and tell Ress the guardsman where you're going. That way, someone can come to your aid if you're knocked out by a Pokemon."

"That sure sounds dangerous..." Ash frowns.

"Your trial begins just a short way past that front gate!" Akari says as they are about to pass the gate, Ress the guardsman stops them and says, "You're Ash and Serena, correct? I was informed you'd be passing through. Your trial will take place outside the safety of the village. Please take care to come back alive."

"We will." Ash says, "We're going to the Obsidian Fields."

The guardsman nods as they walk towards the base camp.