Chapter 50 Warden Battles

As they are walking on the road, they notice a shaking ore, after using the Pokemon to break it, they find a Bronzor inside. Ash and Serena decide to use the chance to record them.

Bronzor's Research Tasks: Number caught:1,3,6,12,25 Number of large specimens caught:1,2,3,5,7 Number you've caught without being spotted:1,2,4,6,10 Number defeated:1,2,4,10,15 Number of you've defeated with Fire-type moves:1,2,4,6,10 Times you have seen it use Confusion:1,3,6,12,25 Number you've seen leap out of ore deposits:1,2,4,10,15 Number you've evolved:1

Hisui Dex Entry No.180 Bronzor: The Bronze Pokémon: Steel- and Psychic-type. Floats using a mysterious energy. The pattern engraved upon its back is held as sacred and can sometimes be found in imagery from ancient cemeteries and other such timeworn places.

"And here we are, at the Ancient Quarry." Ingo says, but then they also see Melli standing there.

"What's the big idea, putting back all the torches I spent ages tidying away?" Melli asks with annoyance. "Do you get some sort of amusement stomping around and ruining people's noble deeds?"

"Oh? Rendering a cave impassable to people who venture inside hardly seems noble to me." Ingo replies.

"Hmph. Well, this just goes to show that even we wardens don't always see eye to eye." Melli sighs. "I extinguished those lights for the sake of the Pokemon in that cave who prefer the dark. But now you louts have put my efforts to waste. If you think I'll just let you saunter ahead to meet Lord Electrode, you're sorely mistaken! The only way you're getting past me...is if you defeat my partner Pokemon!"

Irida turns to Ash and Serena, "What will you do? Ash and Serena?"

"I'm going to battle him!" Ash says.

"But Ash..." Serena tries to complain until Adaman says, "Let him do it, Serena. Melli really needs a lesson from this."

"Are you underestimating me? Adaman? My Stuntank can show these louts the true meaning of silent but deadly." Melli says.

Ash goes for Garchomp to battle the Skuntank, and Skuntank goes with the Night Slash, but Garchomp uses Dragon Claw to clash with each other. Ash says, "Since you're now a Garchomp, let's see if you can do this. Draco Meteor!"

Garchomp fires the meteor into the sky and lands on Skuntank, one-shotting it in the end. Ash says, "How is it, huh? Admit defeat?"

"Listen here! Neither I nor Skuntank admit defeat just yet - our challenge to you still stands!" Melli says with malice. "However! I will withdraw to afford Skuntank time to recover. There's no shame in a tactical retreat. It's more of an advance, if you think about it! Keep your guard up - we'll be back!"

After that, Melli walks away, and Ingo comments, "What a lovely character."

"I agree." Irida nods. "I can't fathom Warden Melli's intentions...But for now, let's keep going."

"You're right." As they enter the Ancient Quarry, they find themselves in some sort of temple-like area even though they just entered through a cave. Adaman says, "This is the Ancient Quarry. The stones used to build the temple atop this mountain were all cut from this place... Whether by humans and Pokemon working as one, or by the labor of Pokemon alone, I cannot say."

"The stones that were left behind should serve to cover us from the gazes of wild Pokemon." Ingo says.

"Well, that will be convenient if we want to dodge the attacks before sending out our Pokemon to fight." Serena says.

"Ah! There you are!" They turn around to see Volo again, Ingo asks, "Volo, was it? What is the matter, sir?"

"I wanted to ask about that memory loss of yours. Have you considered that it could have somehow been caused by the space-time rift?"