Chapter 9 Alpha Kricketune

As they continue to move forward, they reach a bridge and a guard is blocking the path. "There are many strong Pokemon that make their home on the other side of this bridge! I can't let you pass unless you're a First -"

"If you are going to say we First Star Rank, then we are." Ash says.

"Oh, at your rank, you should be fine! Go on, then!" The guard steps away and says, "Don't let your guard down, now. Retreat to safety if you find yourself in trouble!"

After passing the bridge, they find Akari and a black-haired girl waiting for them. Akari says, "Over here!"

As Ash and Serena walk towards them, Akari turns to the girl, "Mai. This is Ash and Serena."

"My, my...A new face in the village?" Mai asks. "Not that it matters to me if you're new. If you're here, I assume you're prepared to be of help."

Ash and Serena look at the girl, and she is wearing a blue outfit with some symbol on it, and she has a Munchlax by her side. "I am one of the wardens of the Diamond Clan. You may call me Mai."

"Warden? What is that?" Serena asks.

"I suppose you might not even know what a warden is if you're new to Hisui...But such talk can wait. Right now, I'd rather we get straight to the point." Mai says. "I have a problem that I need help solving. So the more important question is this...Do you feel confident that you can lead your Pokemon in battle?"

"Of course we do." Serena says.

"That's good to hear. The Security Corps of yours certainly wasn't up to the task." She turns to her Pokemon. "This here is my partner. Munchlax. We were raised together like siblings. He battles at my side by choice, without needing any silly little balls as you use. Watch and learn."

"Ash, I want to battle her, is that fine for you?" Serena asks.

"Not at all." Ash smiles back and Serena takes out the Poke Ball and sends out Sylveon.

"Wait, you evolve your Eevee into a Sylveon?" Akari asks. "That means you must have bonded a lot with the Eevee..."

"That's Serena for you. Sylveon is one of her strong Pokemon, and she won't lose the battle." Ash says.

"Sylveon, let's go with the Agile Style Fairy Wind!" Serena yells, and Sylveon manages to go swiftly and Munchlax takes a lot of damage. "Now use your chance to use Swift!"

Once Munchlax is taking a lot of damage, Mai says, "You're not bad, Munchlax, use Rollout!"

As Munchlax starts to roll around, Sylveon's moves are dodged and it takes a lot of damage. "Sylveon! Don't give up! Let's try Fairy Wind again!"

And the final time, it hits Munchlax, causing it to be knocked out in the end. Mai holds Munchlax in her arms and says, "You really aren't one of the usual Galaxy buffoons if you could defeat my partner..."

"Well, my boyfriend is stronger than I, so I guess so." Serena says while smiling at Ash.

"Well fought, Munchlax." Mai says to her Pokemon, who groans back at Mai. "I'll take care of the Pokemon that battled for us."

After healing the Pokemon, Mai says, "I'll let you have these. You people make all kinds of things with your crafting, don't you? These should prove to be useful materials."

They get 5 Vivichokes, which are used for Revives. "You and your Pokemon fought well together! You practically acted as one with them. Rather like the legendary hero of old...The one we tell stories of to our children. I think both of you're indeed the ones for the job."