Chapter 90 Tricky Treat Strategy

Back at the Jubilife Village, they find Mai and Munchlax at the Galaxy Hall, Mai says, "Ash and Serena...I have something important to discuss with you. I heard an odd rumor...I believe it may be the key to unlocking the mysteries behind massive mass outbreaks. You must first acquire ten Mushroom Cakes. Then bring them to the Secret Hollow in the Alabaster Icelands. I call this...My tricky treat strategy!"

"Alabaster Icelands? I thought we are going to Coronet Highlands next..." Ash is confused.

"We have change of plans. I'll be waiting for you in the Alabaster Icelands - in the Secret Hollow." Then Mai and Munchlax leaves.

"Strange...I wonder what is this all about...Mushroom Cakes for Massive Mass Outbreaks?" Adaman asks.

"Or importantly...did something happen to Mai?" Irida asks.

They decide to do what she requests, and then they head to the Secret Hallow, which is close to the Icepeak Camp. As they get inside, they decide to wait for Mai to show up.

"Geez...even though we are in the cave...this place is as cold as hell..." Serena says while she is shivering.

"Yeah..." Ash adds.

"You guys are overreacting." Irida sighs. "It's not that cold."

Mai and Munchlax arrive and Mai asks, "Did you bring me ten Mushroom Cakes?"

"We do." Ash hands over the cakes, and Mai gives a creepy smile, "Hehehe...Well done. Mushroom Cakes...And some quality ones, at that! Now we're just getting started. Leave the rest to me. You can return to Jubilife Village. I'll share how successful my strategy was when I'm finished."

The four of them look at Mai with confusion before they head back to Jubilife Village. When they are back at the camp, Adaman says, "I know Mai for years...but I am pretty sure that she won't be acting like this..."

"Yeah..." Irida says, but they are stopped by Lian, who comes and says, "I had a visit from Melli. He came all that way just to boast about giving you some Aguav Berries. He said you lit up with so much joy that your smile nearly split your face. I can't imagine that was the case - I'm sure it was a confused grimace or a smile you merely forced yourself to give him out of pity. But..."

"Yeah, if we would get joy from something Melli did for us..." Ash mutters. "All he does is boasting himself."

"I still can't let myself be outdone by him." Lian says. "So I've been looking for you all over Hisui. To give you this: my very own reward to you! It is, naturally, far superior to anything Melli can offer."

He gives them 30 more Aguav Berries, and Serena says, "Thank you, we would really need them."

"Oh, and I did see one of those massive mass outbreaks on my way here to find you..." Lian says, "I wonder if they might be caused by the geology of the place where they occur? Perhaps there is some mysterious kind of stone in the ground which draws Pokemon near..."

"Maybe." Irida says, "Nice find, Lian."

"Oh! And I had a message for you from Mai! She would like to meet you in Jubilife Village!" Lian says.

"Back in Jubilife?" Ash asks in confusion. "But..."

"Yes, she's been waiting there for you four. Though I suppose it's more accurate to say that she's been chatting away with Tsumugi from the Security Corps about Bidoof. As for me, I think I may visit the hot springs since I've come all this way." Lian says."Do be careful of any massive mass outbreaks as you head back - strong Pokemon might appear!"

After Lian leaves, Irida asks, "If Mai was at the Jubilife Village this whole time, then who were the imposters back in the Secret Hallow?"

At the same time, the fake Mai and Munchlax reveal themselves to be a Zoroark and a Zorua, as they chuckle while eating the Mushroom Cakes.