Chapter Four - The Badge & The Burden

On the first day of Beacon, Razer found himself standing in the classroom of Professor Peter Port. He stood in the corner and watched as Port began to give a lecture.

Port: Monsters! Deeeemons... Prowlers of the night! Yes, the creatures of Grimm have many names, but I merely refer to them as prey! Ha-ha!

Port's intro seemed to silence the class with varying degrees of interest. Razer himself was uninterested as his training as a Red Lantern made him an exceptional warrior. In his mind, listening to these lectures seemed like a waste of time. Nevertheless, Razer watched as Port continued his lecture. 

Port: Uhhhh... And you shall too, upon graduating from this prestigious academy! Now, as I was saying: Vale, as well as the other three kingdoms, are safe havens in an otherwise treacherous world! Our planet is absolutely teeming with creatures that would love nothing more than to tear you to pieces! And that's where we come in. Huntsmen! Huntresses. Individuals who have sworn to protect those who cannot protect themselves! From what, you ask? Why, the very world!

Port then goes off on a long winded tale about his exploits which seem to bore the class. Razer looked around the class to see how bored most of them were. Razer's eyes fell on Ruby. As he studied Ruby, he noticed that Weiss appeared to be agitated by something. Upon further studying, it was clear that it had something to do with Ruby. As Port regains the attention of his class, he finishes his story as well as offer a moral.

Port: The moral of this story? A true Huntsman must be honorable! A true Huntsman must be dependable! A true Huntsman must be strategic, well-educated, and wise! So, who among you believes themselves to be the embodiment of these traits?

Without hesitation, Weiss raised her hand in apparent frustration.

Weiss: I do, sir!

Port: Well, then, let's find out! Step forward, and face your opponent!

Port then releases a Boarbatusk Grimm from a cage. Upon seeing this, Razer became curious. Weiss then engages the Boarbatusk while Ruby cheers her on much to her annoyance. During the fight, Weiss is momentarily disarmed.

Port: Oh-ho! Now what will you do without your weapon?

As Ruby attempts to give Weiss advice, Weiss is having none of it as she grows more agitated by it. Weiss then retrieves her Myrtenaster sword and drives the sword into it's chest, but the Boarbatusk continues to attack. Weiss tries to pull her sword out, but the Grimm proved too stubborn.

Weiss: Why won't it come out?!

As Weiss struggles to pull her sword out of the Grimm, the Boarbatusk overpowers Weiss. Razer intervenes by using his Ring to form a construct of a clawed hand and grips the Boarbatusk. After thrashing it around the room, Razer forms a construct of a sword. With a flick of his wrists, Razor decapitates the Boarbatusk with a swift strike. As the Boarbatusk was killed, Razer tosses the Boarbatusk's corpse aside while Port addresses the class.

Port: Bravo! Bra-vo! It appears we are indeed in the presence of a true Huntsman and Huntress! I'm afraid that's all the time we have for today. Be sure to cover the assigned readings, and... stay vigilant! Class dismissed!

As class was dismissed, Weiss attempts to storm off, but is stopped by Ruby. In that moment, Weiss vented her frustrations. 

Weiss: You've done nothing to earn your position! Back in the forest, you acted like a child, and you've only continued to do so! 

Ruby: Weiss, where is this coming from? What happened to all the talk about 'working together'? I thought you believed in acting as a team.

Weiss: Not a team led by you. I've studied and trained. And quite frankly, I deserve better. It's clear here that Ozpin made a mistake making you leader of this team!

Razer: And you would do better? That display proves otherwise.

Weiss: You stay out of this! You had no reason to intervene!

Razer: I saved you life. The least you can do is show some gratitude.

Weiss: I could've handled it myself!

Razer took note of Weiss's reaction. He couldn't help but scoff at Weiss's attitude. 

Razer: If there's nothing I dislike more than cowards, it's self entitled brats who believe the world owes them everything.

Weiss: How dare you?! You don't know the first thing about me, alien!

Razer: My point exactly. You've never had to fight for what you have. Everything has been handed to you. If you wish to deny this truth, so be it. I just won't waste my time with the likes of you.

At that point, Weiss grew furious as she turned her ire back to Ruby. Without saying a word, Weiss storms off. Razer then turns to a saddened Ruby.

Razer: If you are going to be your team's leader, then you have to be assertive. Or else people like her will walk over you. And if the people you intend to lead walk all over you like that, are you even worthy of being a leader? 

Yang: That's a little harsh, don't you think?

Razer: That's life. The sooner you all learn this, the sooner it will be better for all of you.

Yang: What's your problem?!

Razer: My problem is a bunch of immature children playing at being warriors. You need to grow up. The world is just not that simple. It never is. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to train in private.

With that, Razer walked away from Team RWBY. With that, Razer's tenure at Beacon Academy was off to a rocky start.