Chapter Sixty - Alone In The Woods

As the morning rose, Razer and Aya along with Saint Walker, Team RWBY, Qrow, Oscar and Maria meet outside the farm. It was clear to Razer that Team RWBY were on their last legs. Soon enough, Weiss spoke.

Weiss: Last night, I...I couldn't stop thinking - why are we even going to Atlas?

Ruby: Weiss, we have to.

Yang: Why? Ozpin hid the Relics behind giant doors under enormous schools, but...how long would it take Salem to find a Lamp in the middle of nowhere?

Ruby: What? The Grimm might....

Yang: They'd find it eventually, sure, but bury it or just throw it down the well, it would take years. It might not even happen in our lifetime. But we could be done with it now.

As Yang said this, Razer spoke up.

Razer: We can't take that risk. We have to end Salem's threat so the next generation doesn't have to face this threat.

Saint Walker: I know things look dire now, but we mustn't give up hope. If we give up hope, they win. 

Ruby looked upon the Relic with conflicting emotions. A part of her was tempted to drop the Relic down the well. As she looks down the well, she sees a pair of red eyes staring back at her. In a moment of panic, Ruby drops the Relic down the well.

Ruby: No! No! No! I didn't mean to!

Weiss: Maybe it's for the best that we leave it here.

Yang: Hey, it's okay sis. You just said you're tired. It's probably nothing. Now let's go.

Ruby: What's wrong with you?! We can't just leave, we have to go down there! We have to get the Lamp back! Oh, what was I thinking?!

Yang tries to calm Ruby down by placing a hand on her shoulder. Ruby immediately slaps it away, shocking Yang.

Yang: Ruby.....

Ruby: If we give up now, everyone we've lost will have died for nothing! Pyrrha....Penny.....I can't let their deaths mean nothing!

As Ruby lashed out a her half sister, Aya stepped in. 

Aya: Razer, Saint Walker and I will take it from here. We'll take the Lamp to Atlas. 

Razer: If you all truly feel that you cannot continue, we won't force you to follow. But before we continue, I ask that you think of what you've willing to sacrifice by giving up.

Saint Walker: Agreed. In times like these, hope is our strongest weapon against the growing tide of darkness. Only when we lose that light does the enemy truly win. 

As Razer, Aya, and Saint Walker went down the well, their words struck a chord within the rest of the group. Ruby soon joined Razer, Aya and Saint Walker down into the well to retrieve the Relic. Feeling a sense of guilt and shame, the rest of Team RWBY followed. As they descend into the well, they find a vast underground waterway.

Yang: Maybe the current carried it away.

Aya: We are closing in on the Relic. 

As they continue to search the well, they soon found a bright blue glowing light of the Relic. Once they find it, Ruby runs over to grab it. As she retrieves it, she spots multiple humanoid-looking Grimm of different sizes are bunched together. It wasn't long before everyone spots them. Without hesitation, Razer attacked the Grimm. 

Razer: Go! Get the Relic to safety! I will hold off the Grimm!

Blake: We're not leaving you behind!

Razer: This is not up for discussion! Go!

As Team RWBY runs off with the Relic, Aya and Saint Walker stay behind!

Razer: I thought I told you to...

Aya: We will help you. That is not for discussion. 

Saint Walker: No one should battle alone. 

With that, Aya and Saint Walker joined Razer in battling the Grimm. The Grimm flocked to Razer due to his rage. As they do so, the Grimm let out an ear piercing scream which seems to drain their willpower.

Razer: My...my hands...

???: The Ring knows your anger. Give in to it....

Razer: Never.....NEVER!

Razer then unleashes a powerful shockwave of Red Energy. As Razer was about to lose himself in his rage, Saint Walker fired a beam of Blue Energy which seemed to calm Razer. 

Saint Walker: Fear not. All will be well. 

As the three were beginning to get overwhelmed, Maria appears. 

Maria: Run! Now!

Left with no choice, Razer, Aya and Saint Walker began running for the exit. However, another group of Grimm block the path. They looked looked around and saw another passageway. It wasn't long before they caught up with Team RWBY. Suddenly, Aya was ambushed by a group of Grimm. Without hesitation, Razer charges in as the Grimm began to swarm them. Seeing them in danger, Ruby's eyes began to glow. With words from Maria, Ruby was able to focus her power on the Grimm, disintegrating them. With that, they eventually reached the house. Once they exited the house, Weiss grabs a few of the alcoholic bottles from the shelves and throws them towards the basement, shattering them. As they exited the house, Aya fires an energy blast at the house. As she does so, a fire was started which spread to the entire house. As the fire consumed the house, everyone took a moment to catch their breath.

Maria: The Apathy. They're not strong or ferocious. They drain your will to go on.

Weiss: I'm...sorry for what I said...about giving up.

Yang: Me too. We can't quit until the lamp is safe.

Blake: It's not your fault. It was those...things.

Razer took a moment to catch his breath. Maria: I should have known. The signs were all there, but I'd never seen an entire settlement withered away like that. I suppose my mind just isn't what it used to be.

Ruby: Miss Calavera? How do you know so much about the Grimm? And in the tunnels, you knew exactly what to say to make me... to make my eyes do that. How?

Qrow: Because she has Silver Eyes just like you.

As Maria's Silver Eyes were revealed, a lone Apathy prepares to ambush the group. However, the Apathy was disintegrated by a beam of Red Light. Everyone turned around to see a still wounded Vice approaching them. In that moment, Vice had returned.