Chapter Nineteen - Mountain Glenn

The full moon is shining over the ruined buildings of Mountain Glenn, and a lone Beowolf is searching through the rubble. As Ruby keeps watch and goes on patrol, the rest of Team RWBY attempt to sleep, but are unable to. Razer simply looks to the ruined city. Seeing the abandoned settlement reminded Razer of all the worlds he helped raze during his time as a Red Lantern. Meanwhile, Yang was talking to Weiss and Blake. 

Yang: Why do you think he asked us about being a Huntress? Like, what was he trying to say?

Blake: Maybe he was curious. 

Weiss: Teachers are naturally curious from what I hear. I imagine Doctor Oobleck is no different.

Soon enough, the rest of Team RWBY elaborate on their answers to Oobleck's question, revealing that their simple answers were more complicated. As they all opened up to one another, they turned to Razer. 

Yang: So Razer, why did you want to become a Huntsman?

As Yang asked that question, there was an uneasy silence as Razer continued to look upon his Ring. He thought about the circumstances that put him on the path to becoming a Red Lantern. 

Razer: I have my own reasons. 

Yang: Okay....why did you want to be a Red Lantern?

Razer: You think I chose to be.....this? You think I chose to be driven by my rage? 

Weiss: What do you mean you didn't choose to be this? 

Razer: The Ring chose me when it sensed the rage in my heart. 

Blake: You told me once that you once fought for a cause. What cause was it?

As Blake asked that, Razer was reminded of all that he had done while serving Atrocitus. He thought of the worlds he razed and the people he killed. The rest of Team RWBY could see that Razer was bothered. 

Razer: Do not let appearances deceive you. This Ring may appear as a powerful weapon, but it is a curse. A curse that clings to me. 

Yang: If you really hate that Ring so much, why don't you just chuck it? 

Razer: If only it were that easy. Do you think that I hadn't thought of that before? No. This Ring is bound to me as long as I bear rage in my heart. And my rage....it's a fire that burns. At least now I can direct that rage against those who truly deserve it. 

Blake: Razer....what happened? What happened to you?

As Blake asked that question, his mind falls back to the day he lost Ilana. As that memory replayed in his mind, Razer brushed off the question. 

Razer: I do not wish to talk of it. 

As they continued to speak to one another, they noticed that Ruby was missing. Zwei soon came running in barking.

Yang: Zwei?

Blake: What's going on?

Oobleck: Grab your weapons! Your leader may be in trouble.

With that, Razer and the rest of Team RWBY along with Oobleck readied their weapons. They followed Zwei to a hole in the ground. Next to the hole was Crescent Rose.

Yang: Ruby's scythe!

Blake: Oh no.

Weiss: Do you think she fell?

Oobleck: Fell?

Weiss: Down there.

As Weiss points at the hole, Oobleck has come to a realization.

Razer: It would appear that Ruby stumbled upon a clue. A nest for the cockroaches to flock to.

Oobleck: Oh my. Of course! Of course, OF COURSE, OF COURSE!

Blake: What is it, Doctor Oobleck?

Oobleck: Mountain Glenn! Yes, an expansion of Vale that was inevitably destroyed by creatures of Grimm! Previously home to thousands of people! Working people commuting to the city, the main city! Developed a subway system to the inner city! Grimm attacks increased! Population in danger, now desperately searching for shelter! City evacuates into the metro tunnels and what do they find? The southeast quadrant of Vale is known for wild forests and deep caves!

Yang: Doc, what are you saying?

Oobleck: My dear, we're not just looking for an underground crime network, we're looking for an UNDERGROUND crime network!

Blake: They've been working in caves?

Oobleck: No, no, Mountain Glenn was Vale's first serious attempt at expansion. It worked for a short period of time, thanks to an aggressive perimeter defense, and unique transportation; the city developed an elaborate subway system to carry citizens safely from the new territory into the main Kingdom! Sadly, without the many natural barriers Vale had to protect its borders, Mountain Glenn was doomed from the start! As the end drew near, the citizens of the territory made one last attempt at survival: They took up shelter beneath the city! In massive caves that they had cleared out for the subway. And they had cut themselves off from the surface!

Yang: An underground village?

Oobleck: In a matter of speaking, yes. A safe haven. Until...an explosion opened the mouth of another cavern, filled with subterranean Grimm. After that, the Kingdom officially sealed off the tunnels, creating the world's largest tomb. If Ruby is down there....

Razer: Then there's a good chance that the enemy is down there as well. 

Oobleck: Precisely!

Razer: How fitting that these vermin use the thing that failed to bring salvation to the people of this doomed place as a den. This place shall be their grave!

Oobleck: Let us not dawdle here! Miss Rose needs us!

With that, and the rest of Team RWBY along with Oobleck and Zwei went down the hole to the underground city that lay within Mountain Glenn to find Ruby. What they didn't know was that they would stumble upon a sinister plot. As all this happened, Vice watched from a distance, waiting for the right time to strike.