Chapter Forty Nine - Rest & Resolutions

As Aya and the group rested in the house, Aya was calibrating her systems. As she calibrated, Aya wondered if Razer was doing well in his efforts to get Blake back into the fight. Suddenly, she heard a commotion coming from inside the house. Aya walked to the kitchen to see Yang and Weiss in the room. Yang was arm wrestling Nora. Yang pulled a trick on Nora by detaching her robotic arm during an arm wrestling match. This lighten up the mood in the room.

Aya: I see losing your arm hasn't changed your mood, Yang.

Yang: Let's just say I had some time to think over what happened to Beacon. It's not a replacement for the real thing, but I'll make sure to make good use of it.

Aya: It's good to see you and Weiss again.

Weiss: The feeling is mutual, Aya. Where is Razer?

Aya: Out trying to help Blake.

Yang: I wouldn't count on it. Blake ran off on us.

Aya: The odds are actually quite in Razer's favor. The odds of Razer successfully convincing Blake to return are 85%.

Afterwards, they began sharing stories of what had happened to them in their separate journeys. Weiss had returned to her family, only to leave to continue her duties as a Huntress. Yang had taken some time to recover from her injuries at Beacon. She then went off in a search for her mother. In an ironic twist of fate, Yang and Weiss had reunited at the bandit camp where Yang's mother led. Yang turns to Oscar who Ozpin had taken control of.

Yang: So you've been lying to us this whole time?

Ozpin: My ability to reincarnate, though a curse, isn't without a few key benefits. Much like the Maidens, I too possess a certain..."magical" power. Using this power, I was able to gift the Branwen twins the ability to "see" more, to move freely and be unburdened by their natural bodies. I... well... gave them the ability to turn into birds. Rather ridiculous sounding out loud, isn't it?

Yang: Why would you do something like that? I mean, what is wrong with you?

Qrow: Yang, that's enough! We made a choice. We wanted this.

Aya: It seems that Qrow and Raven made the choice of their own free will. And based on my scans of Qrow, there seems to be no negative side effects.

Ruby: Okay, so, have you done this with others? Like General Ironwood? Or Professor Goodwitch?

Ozpin: As helpful as that might be, unfortunately, it is not that simple. My power is finite, and if I'm being honest, dwindling. The amount that I gifted to Qrow and Raven was, all things considered, rather miniscule. You see, centuries ago, I sacrificed a great deal of magic to four young women, who I hoped would use my gift for good. They were the first Maidens. Miss Xiao Long, it was never my intention to lie to you. To any of you. There are just some matters that I prefer to... "play close to the chest". I believe that's how you phrased it?

As Ozpin said this, everyone in the room took a moment to process this. Aya however showed no visible reaction to. 

Ozpin: Everyone has a choice. The Branwens chose to accept their powers and the responsibilities that came with them. And later, one of them chose to abandon her duties in favor of her own self-interest. Now, all of you have a choice. If anyone wishes to leave, now is the time. There's no shame or disgrace in abstaining, only in retreat.

As Ozpin said that, everyone is silent as they ponder Ozpin's words. After a moment of silence, Yang stands up.

Yang: If Ruby sticks around, then I will too. If there's one thing I know about her, it's that she somehow always knows the right thing to do. But, if we're going to help, if we're going to keep risking our lives, no more lies. No more half-truths.

Everyone remains silent. Ozpin and Qrow exchange a brief look with each other. Ozpin ponders Yang's words for one last moment, before responding.

Ozpin: Understood. The road ahead is undoubtedly filled with hardships and peril. However, it's been far too long since you have all been together. Please, take tonight, enjoy this moment.

Suddenly Oscar's eyes glow, with Ozpin giving him control back to his body. Oscar realizes he has his hand on Yang's shoulder. quickly takes it off and nervously holds his cane in his hand. Yang and Weiss laugh at him, before hearing a noise from Nora.

Nora: Oooohhh. Raven? Qrow? They're birds!! Cracked it!

Ren shakes his head at Nora being slow on the uptake. It wasn't long before Aya spoke up. 

Aya: There is something I must ask you. 

Ozpin: What is it?

Aya: Throughout your many lifetimes, have you encountered any Red Lanterns? 

Ozpin: Not to my knowledge. Remnant doesn't get many....visitors like Razer. 

Aya carefully surveyed Ozpin as he said this. She saw no indication that he was lying. It wasn't long before Ruby, Yang and Weiss began to wonder about Vice. 

Ruby: Aya, did you ever see that...other Red Lantern?

Aya: I saw him and Razer battle at Beacon during the Fall. From what Razer told me, Vice is still out there, looking for him. 

Weiss: Then let's hope Razer and Blake are safe.

Aya: Whatever happens, I'm sure Razer will find a way. 

In that moment, everyone found the resolve to keep going. They would take the night to enjoy each other's companies. But that bliss would be short lived as the forces of evil had begun setting in motion their plan to attack Haven.